cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Edition 10th and 970 EVO M.2

abadimacharka
Level 7
Hello guys,
I have Asus Rampage V Edition 10 mobo and just got M.2 Samsung 970 EVO.
I have the latest Bios and everything should be working, the mobo can't see M.2 but when installing the Windows! the Windows can see it!! if i turn the CSM on again the Mobo can see the M.2 but it can not boot from it ?? it just show some small lines and go back to Bios.
Can anyone help ?
Best regards and thanks in advance.
8 REPLIES 8

RedSector73
Level 12
This is the typical procedure for install of Windows 10 on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys.
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives / devices.

Hope you find this of help.

Thanks for the help, still not working.
At #8 it still don’t show the M.2 only the flash disk used to install Windows!
As i mentioned before if i turn CSM again you can see the hard drive but it don’t boot.*

RedSector73 wrote:
This is the typical procedure for install of Windows 10 on nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys.
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives / devices.

Hope you find this of help.

Hi again, i did as you stated "even if i did it before", at #8 after the windows is installed and i go to UFEI i don't see the M.2 only the Flash memory, i tried to make secure boot UFEI and still don't see it! it only see it if i turn CSM to enabled again and still don't boot from it !!!!

Your running stock - no o/c ?
To be honest it sounds like your have hardware issue not an installation issue.

BigJohnny
Level 13
Stupid question as Im not completely familiar with the QVL of this board but does it support NVMe drives? I know at its time of release the only M2 drives were SATA and AHCI.

I read through the manual and it just says M2 with no reference. R6E calls them all out on what it will run and where it will run it.

BigJohnny wrote:
Stupid question as Im not completely familiar with the QVL of this board but does it support NVMe drives? I know at its time of release the only M2 drives were SATA and AHCI.

I read through the manual and it just says M2 with no reference. R6E calls them all out on what it will run and where it will run it.

Well i looked at the whole manual and it says nothing more than M.2 and i contacted Asus support and till now there is no answer!

davemon50
Level 11
This board supports NVMe. I have been running on Samsung 960 Pro for years now on this board. Just updated to 970 Pro for Christmas. I have never tried the EVO's but the Pro's do work for me. The one thing that was extremely important for this to work was the CSM had to be disabled. However, even though it was inconsistent, I still was able to see the drive (and boot from it) with CSM enabled once in about every 5 boots. With CSM enabled you have to select boot from UEFI only in the BIOS.

That said, I have been on one of the earliest BIOS all the way up until this week (BIOS 1003) with those working on this board. I updated to the latest 2101 and they still work with this BIOS, but I cannot guarantee all those in-between.

From memory, I believe even in this correct configuration I had initial trouble getting the drive recognized once or twice, and then after it was recognized it never had a problem afterwards.

One thing you can try after you get it recognized is to change the drivers. Samsung has a driver for these drives (same for EVO as for Pro I think), and Windows has their version too. You may have more success with one driver than the other. You should try both. I am currently using the MS driver, but have previously installed the Samsung driver and it worked too. I had the Samsung driver on a smaller drive previously (960 Pro), then I got a larger 960 Pro drive (1TB) and am currently using that one with the Samsung driver. Good luck!
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
This board supports NVMe. I have been running on Samsung 960 Pro for years now on this board. Just updated to 970 Pro for Christmas. I have never tried the EVO's but the Pro's do work for me. The one thing that was extremely important for this to work was the CSM had to be disabled. However, even though it was inconsistent, I still was able to see the drive (and boot from it) with CSM enabled once in about every 5 boots. With CSM enabled you have to select boot from UEFI only in the BIOS.

That said, I have been on one of the earliest BIOS all the way up until this week (BIOS 1003) with those working on this board. I updated to the latest 2101 and they still work with this BIOS, but I cannot guarantee all those in-between.

From memory, I believe even in this correct configuration I had initial trouble getting the drive recognized once or twice, and then after it was recognized it never had a problem afterwards.

One thing you can try after you get it recognized is to change the drivers. Samsung has a driver for these drives (same for EVO as for Pro I think), and Windows has their version too. You may have more success with one driver than the other. You should try both. I am currently using the MS driver, but have previously installed the Samsung driver and it worked too. I had the Samsung driver on a smaller drive previously (960 Pro), then I got a larger 960 Pro drive (1TB) and am currently using that one with the Samsung driver. Good luck!

Thanks for sharing your experience, i tried everything but the Mobo don't see it unless i turn CSM enabled and when i select the M.2 it just blink and go back to BIOS.
I have 2101 BIOS but i don't think i am quite following you when it comes to drivers ! what the drivers have to do with this ? shouldn't the MOBO recognize it without any drivers ?
Thanks again