cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith II Extreme shutdown with very high chipset temperature

serious710
Level 7
Hi all,

My Zenith II Extreme auto shutdown constantly, after auto shutdown, usually i need to wait 1-2 mins to start it again (I think the chipset need to cold down). When i check the temperature in the bios, I see the chipset temp. is very high (>80C, sometime >100C).
The shutdown issue usually occur at 30-60min after the PC boot up.
I have used the HWiNFO the keep check the chipset temp. The chipset keep a normal temp (5X-6X) while the PC is running. So I think the chipset temperature increase to a very high level suddenly and then shutdown.
I have reset the BIOS setting, but still cannot the solve the problem.

My PC config
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard: Asus ZENITH II EXTREME
RAM: Trident Z Royal DDR4-3600MHz 64GB (F4-3600C16Q-64GTRG)
SSD: Intel 900p 480G (PCIE Slot 1), Samsung 970 Pro 1T (Dimm.2)
Display: MSI 2080 ti gaming x trio (PCIE Slot 3)
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

does anyone have any ideas or experience?
do I need to RMA my Z2E?

More information:
The chipset temperature is not Temp3 in HWiNFO, It is named as Chipset.
I think this is not a sensor issue. I have tried to use my finger to touch the chipset heatsink, it is really HOT!

every time this issue occur, I must cut off the power. If I don't do that, the chipset temperature will keep to raising.
you can see the chipset temperature keep to raising in the bios, it doesn't make sense.
if i keep to bootup windows. the temperature still raising.

I bought the 3960X and Z2E on 30/11/2019. they are working fine at the start.
I have not OC my CPU, just set the ram run as xmp. All of other settings are leave on default.
Everything is working fine until 25/12, this issue is start on 25/12. (Christmas gift?:()
20 REPLIES 20

LukZZ
Level 7
Hi,

I have other strange reading, when windows loads it shows in HWiNFO sometimes 70C, sometimes 80C, 93C.
I wonder exactly what this sensor is. Or maybe it shows this one reading in Fahrenheit lol

My config is almost the same :
CPU: AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard: Asus ZENITH II EXTREME
RAM: Trident Z Royal DDR4-3600MHz 32GB (F4-3600C16Q-64GTRG)
Display : Asus RTX 2080Ti Dual OC
PSU: Corsair AX1200i

davemon50
Level 11
Both posts above, temperatures are too high. You might want to check if it's for real or just a sensor issue. Use your own touch to see if it is too hot (try not to burn yourself, so at first feel near but not on the chipset heat sink, then if it feels manageable try touching it). You can also place an external temp sensor directly on it and read the temp through whatever software you are using for that.

Curiously, both posts above you ask about high temperatures and yet neither of you posted anything at all about your cooling methods or configuration in your computer, whether for the case or for the components. You have to supply relevant information if you want accurate answers.
Davemon50

I have updated my post...
Please help:)

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40

In my case chipset temperatures are fine after few hours of playing. No shutdowns from beginning but this Temp3 from Nuovoton NCT6798D is kinda funny. The longer the computer works, the lower temperature it has. I have open frame case and custom LC. Two separate loops 2x480 for CPU, 1x480 for GPU.

I think i really got a bad Z2E:(.
I have made my best effort to test the system.

e.g.
1. change the ram slot
2. just use 2 slot ram
3. use another brand ram
4. Remove Dimm.2
5. Remove Intel 900P
6. change the PCIE slot for 2080ti

The system still unstable. It will auto shutdown (not restart) randomly (but this issue usually occur on the system is loading).
I have tried to run aida64 fpu stress test, it cannot run more than 30min. (some time shutdown on 2 min, some time on 1X min or 2x min).
When the aida64 fpu stress test is running, the CPU temperature is so stable. (keep on 74-76C)

I am so disappointed for this 😞
I always got some bad experience from high end rog mainbroad (last time is R4E).

Retired
Not applicable
Arne Saknussemm wrote:
RMA the board 😞

I second that..
The PCH should not hit 93c

is the heatsink warm? touch it

poor or no mating between the PCH heatsink and the chip..

Assuming its the PCH temp sensor in the screenshot...

Rockford wrote:
I second that..
The PCH should not hit 93c

is the heatsink warm? touch it

poor or no mating between the PCH heatsink and the chip..

Assuming its the PCH temp sensor in the screenshot...

Yes, PCH temp. can find in HWiNFO.
It is very close with chipset temp.

Retired
Not applicable
Hmm, but PCH is the chipset

so temp sensor 3 is something else, or its the software that's not giving the right data

Bios is more accurate than hwinfo