cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Windows 10 as a 'new build'

kacc17
Level 7
Hi all

Five years ago when building my core i5 PC I found out after the build and OS install that I had a problem, resulting in system instability due to significant data loss. I had lots of issues with Windows updates and also with the USB 3 slots not working properly. I found out later that, especially with ASUS motherboards, I should have installed the OS with the board preferably outside the PC case and on a flat surface (e.g. the motherboard box), connected to just a power supply, a monitor, the hard drive, CPU fan, 4-pin speaker, and just 1 stick of RAM in slot B1 in order to avoid substantial data loss.

With the help of Sevenforums experts, I was able to stabilize the PC to a large extent, especially with the Windows updates, but I never got USB 3 to work properly, and the slots remained marked slower than USB 2.

Now I want to correct the build error by stripping the PC to its basics and starting from scratch to perform a clean install of Windows 10.

How do I get the motherboard, ASUS B85M-G, to forget the mistake I made 5 years ago? Would resetting to default values be enough? Also, what is the installation sequence of the drivers I may need since I am starting afresh e.g.

From Intel's website -

Chipset Device Software

From Asus site for Windows 10 -

VGA
Chipset (MEI)
LAN
BIOS
AUDIO
SATA (RAID, do I need this?)
UTILITIES
Hotfix (?)

Thanks.
2 REPLIES 2

ThrashZone
Level 10
Hi,
VGA yes if you don't have a real graphics card and only plan on using onboard graphics for monitor.

Chipset (MEI) yes

LAN yes

BIOS not really you don't say what bios version you're using but it rarely matters or fixes anything

AUDIO yes

SATA (RAID, do I need this?) yes

UTILITIES no

Hotfix (?) no

Also USB download which you did not list which would be for usb 3.0 driver
https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/B85MG/HelpDesk_Download/

After the above id done use Device manager and see what Unknown devices are listed.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

davemon50
Level 11
Quite honestly before you go through all that, did you install the USB3.0 driver or not? If you didn't why wouldn't you just do that first? Could be why you have no service.

I find your first paragraph above (after the salutation) to be misleading, and actually not true. If you are going to rebuild, there is no need to build outside of a case with those things. I have built many PC's and never done that, 100% success rate. You actually will present more of a danger to damaging your motherboard if it's not set properly anyway (which installation in a case will do for you). All you need is to install first the basic components that run a PC. Install them in a case properly and connect only one hard drive and video card up to get started with your Windows installation. That is all you need to do, other than use the latest drivers from online that are for your specific motherboard. After you are stable you can install all the other accessories.
Davemon50