cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS GL703G Black Screen No Post

mastafish
Level 7
So I killed my laptop last night. Was playing Atlas when she went Kaboom. Great. I have had nothing but issues with this thing since I bought it... should have sent it in when it was under warranty but I didn't because I was working 21/7 camp rotation and couldn't send it away for 2 months... Now its as dead as can be. Can someone walk me through the steps to verify its the motherboard? When it froze last night it made this sound like a high-pitched staccato noise. I shut it down immediately by holding the button down. I then pulled the power and held the button down again to discharge. This morning I'm getting nothing when I push the power button.

Steps taken so far
-Removed battery and tried to boot, nothing
-Removed SSD, HDD and nothing
-Swapped RAM (1x16gb) to other slot, nothing

The weird thing is, when I plug the power back in, the on/off switch is lighting up. The top 4 lights show White, Orange, Off and Off and the power light will be Red. I tried holding power down for 60 seconds with the power unplugged, then plug it in and getting nothing. Pretty sure the motherboard is fried? What should I do from here? Possibly the gpu hence why I'm not seeing the POST ?? This laptop has had nothing but issues since day one... Screen staying black when it turns on, broken keys, random resets at various times... definitely not what I expected from a nearly $3000 laptop :'( 😞
2 REPLIES 2

mastafish
Level 7
In my haste to eliminate causes, I was attempting to remove the GPU... I just realized its soldered to the board though lol! I have never worked on a laptop before. Can anyone tell me where to buy a replacement motherboard for this thing? GL703GS with 8 gb 1070, or any compatible upgraded units?

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
High pitched sounds like that are usually VRM related. Could be fixed in theory, but it usually fries all the traces on the pcb around it.

You can usually find replacements on aliexpress.