Hello, recently I built a rig with these parts here:

Asus ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming ATX AM4 Motherboard
Ryzen 7 2700 X
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB Nitro+
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2x8GB) DDR4-3200 F4-3200C16D-16GTZR
Rosewill 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply
Crucial P1 1TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive

Currently on Bios Version 2901(11/06/19). Switched to D.O.C.P. Profile #1 after Bios was updated with all settings set to:

Ai Overclock Tuner: D.O.C.P. Standard
Memory Frequency: DDR4-2733MHz
DRAM CAS# Latency: 16
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Read Delay: 18
DRAM RAS# to CAS# Write Delay: 18
DRAM RAS# PRE Time: 18
DRAM RAS# ACT Time: 38
DRAM Voltage: 1.35000

However when I try to boot with this profile it says that it's unstable. The highest speed I can boot with is 2733mhz. Is there some setting that I have set wrong or something that I'm missing here? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you!
9 REPLIES 9

RedSector73
Level 12
From the CPU side make sure using the 2nd and 4th slots for your ram.

For the ram slots, I have all 4 inserted, 4 sticks of 8GB each to make 32GB in total.

try two in the slots mentioned, then if you get 3200 boot, shutdown and install the other two and see if it will boot.

Maybe a typo or my vision, but the QVL lists
F4-3200C16D-16GTZR as 18-18-18-38 1.35v 3200 (which seems odd, as g.skill numbering indicates CL16-18-18-38). It also clearly says 2x8 not 4x8 supported. So if going to make it work going to have to find right timings yourself. (Thaiphoon & Ryzen DRAM Calculator)

https://dlcdnets.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM4/ROG_STRIX_B450_F_GAMING/Memory-QVL-For-AMD-Ryzen-200...

Hope you find this of help.

Ah, okay. Will give it a shot.

Once you know the ram type from Thaiphoon Burner should get something like this out of Ryzen Dram calculator and be able to manually input the correct timings.

This was something I was considering doing but only if i could not figure things out prior. Its definitely worth a shot though, thank you.

RedSector73 wrote:
Once you know the ram type from Thaiphoon Burner should get something like this out of Ryzen Dram calculator and be able to manually input the correct timings.

Let us know how it goes. If you get stuck, update with ram manufacture (hynix, samsung, etc) and try to help you out with some timings that might work. Thaiphoon Burner has lots of them worked out by people but takes a lot of playing around with it to find the databases with the right information.

Out of curiosity, took two of the sticks out and was able to boot at 3200MHz with no issues whatsoever. Reinserted the other two sticks back in and when I ran Thaiphoon, the information that was needed to put into the calculator came up as undefined. Tried this with all 4 slots as well as after reinserting and restarting the computer a few times. I did not realize that it needed to be that specific when it came to Ram selection. I've heard from both sides, 'go off the QVL' while others just said to make sure its DDR4.

tamazilluh wrote:
I did not realize that it needed to be that specific when it came to Ram selection. I've heard from both sides, 'go off the QVL' while others just said to make sure its DDR4.

As your come to see, the QVL is 100% it works and what configs, any DDR4 is dice roll that 'normally' fine but can have troubles (hynix - looking at you). If you had gone with 2x8 you would not have an issue (check both kits work in that config - maybe one is defective).

I would not give up yet, if you supply us the manufacturer of the ram chips (hynix, samsung, micron etc) and die type, then see if we can help you out and find some setting that will allow all four to work. Historically for me and I own a 1800x, 2700x and 3900x, I have found Hynix ram is a pain to get working at even 2x8 in times gone by.

This might help