cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Power questions

Retired
Not applicable
Hi everyone!

I have a few questions about which power connectors to use (I'm a bit embarrassed though).
I'm going to refer to the manual that comes with the R3E.
Okay, I know how and where to put the 24-pin connector, that one is easy. 🙂

• But now the EATX12V_1 & 2 (manual page 2-46, 14A)? Both are 1/2 covered by a little shutter so that only 2x2 connectors remain (from a total of 2x4). Do I need to insert a connector in these? If so, do I need to use both halves of one connector or insert one half (2x2) connector in each? Or do I need to insert two 2x4 connectors in both?
  • And what about the EZ_PLUG_1 & 2 (manual page 2-46, 14C & D)? Do I need to use these as well?

Some info:
2x GPU´s (crossfire)
3x casefans (connected to the onboard fanconnectors)

In a later post I´ll ask a few more questions pertaining the power connectors, but I´ll try to post a few pics for that.
I hope someone can help me with these questions first.
16 REPLIES 16

xeromist
The EATX 8 pin plug is designed to be backwards compatible with the older 4pin power supply connectors. If you have a modern PSU with an 8pin connector then you should use all 8. It's really only needed with overclocking or multiple CPU's but using all 8 if you have them means you'll never have to wonder if you are getting enough power.

The ez plug you are referring to is additional power for the GPU's. Without knowing what kind of GPU's you have there is no way for us to tell if you need it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks for the answers, I also apologise for my slow reply.
I have a Corsair AX850W PSU and two HD6870 GPU's. I don´t plan to OC too much, a bit too afraid I guess. 😮
Hopefully this is enough info to tell if I need all the connectors.
I still have another question (as mentioned in my first post), but I need to take a few pictures to make myself clear. Should be able to post them tomorrow.

xeromist
You PSU has the 8 pin EPS connector, so use all 8. As to the EZ plugs I wouldn't worry about them unless you have problems or get an error that you should connect one or both of them.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

ottoyu34
Level 9
For regular usage, you only need to plug in your EPS 8pin power to the EATX12V_1.

ottoyu34 wrote:
For regular usage, you only need to plug in your EPS 8pin power to the EATX12V_1.

Sorry Tim for posting on your thread. But I have few question for ottoyu...

For the moment, I'm only going to run 1 GPU w/no overclocking(GTX580). So do I still need to plug in to the EZ_Plug1 & 2??

Also my PSU has an EPS 8pin power connector & EPS 2x4 power connectors that have the same specs as the 8pin power connector. So should I connect both EPS 2x8pin connectors to both EATX12V_1 and EATX12V _2? Or just EATX12V_1?

No overclocking at the moment either. That and SLI will be later in the future.
ool Master HAF Case
I7-950
Rampage III Extreme
H-50 Cooler
CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2000 (PC3 16000)
EVGA GTX580
WD Black 1TB
WD V-Raptor 10k RPM
OCZ Tech 750w

Retired
Not applicable
Alrighty then, thanks for those answers guys, Top notch! :cool:
If you look at the pic beneath this text, you can see the small covers on the EATX12V_1 & 2. Would it be possible to insert one 2x2 connector in EATX12V_1 and one 2x2 connector in EATX12V_2?

I have another question, this time regarding the power connectors of my GPU's.
On the top of the PCB of the GPU I have two 2x3 connectors.

As you can see on the pic of the connector that comes with the Corsair AX850W, there are two 2x3 connectors and two 2x1 connectors (apart from the PSU-connector). I guess I just have to insert the two 2x3 connectors in each of my two GPU's? Correct?

ottoyu34
Level 9
No need to be embarrassed. Do it right the first time is better.

1. Remove the cap off EATX12V_1 and find the EPS 8pin power connector. and plug it in there. Don't do it like you mentioned.

2. Both of the 6pin PCI-E power goes to one video card. and the other end goes to your modular power supply.

Retired
Not applicable
Thanks again for the swift help and the support. Thumbs up for you my friend! :cool:

1. There isn't a 2x4 connector supplied with ym PSU, that put me of course. I'm going to alter one of the small convers of the EATX12V, that way the second EATX12V connector on the R3E can;'t fill up with dust... and it looks better. 🙂

I'm going to sleeve all my cables myself with MDPC-X sleeves. Will take a fair bit of time, but well spend in the end no doubt.

xeromist
The 6+2 connector in your picture works with cards needing either 6 or 8 pins. In your case yes you would only need to connect the 6 pins. The other two pins are just ground wires so it will not be a problem.