cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG GL552VX maxmimum SSD capacity

elvedhel
Level 7
ive tried searching google, ASUS website, forums etc and cannot get a definitive answer.

I have the above mentioned ASUS ROG GL522VX ( I5 processor with GeForce 950m and 128gb SSD )

I was given an upgrade SSD for xmas however it was an ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2 which seems to be NVMe which only after getting it found that this particular laptop doesn't support .

The only option then is to upgrade to a SATA m2 SSD , such as the crucial mx500 or WD blue . No speed or performance increase so its purely for capacity as the current 128gb is very limiting for the boot drive .

This is where the problem lies. the only info I can find is that this model came in two flavours with either 128gb or 256gb M2 SATA ssd, but nowhere can I find any information as to if it will take a larger SATA m2. ( I am assuming at time of release around 3 years ago maybe there wasn't a Bigger Sata M2 and 256gb was the current max. however I just cant find any confirmation as to if it will take the Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD4 500 GB (3D NAND, SATA, M.2 Type 2280SS or even larger WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD M.2 SATA - 1 TB

there is so little information out there about this particular model too . its very frustrating and upgrading to 256gb from 128gb is hardly worth the cost
1 REPLY 1

Tor_Spo
Level 8
elvedhel wrote:
ive tried searching google, ASUS website, forums etc and cannot get a definitive answer.

I have the above mentioned ASUS ROG GL522VX ( I5 processor with GeForce 950m and 128gb SSD )

I was given an upgrade SSD for xmas however it was an ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 512GB M.2 which seems to be NVMe which only after getting it found that this particular laptop doesn't support .

The only option then is to upgrade to a SATA m2 SSD , such as the crucial mx500 or WD blue . No speed or performance increase so its purely for capacity as the current 128gb is very limiting for the boot drive .

This is where the problem lies. the only info I can find is that this model came in two flavours with either 128gb or 256gb M2 SATA ssd, but nowhere can I find any information as to if it will take a larger SATA m2. ( I am assuming at time of release around 3 years ago maybe there wasn't a Bigger Sata M2 and 256gb was the current max. however I just cant find any confirmation as to if it will take the Crucial MX500 CT500MX500SSD4 500 GB (3D NAND, SATA, M.2 Type 2280SS or even larger WD Blue 3D NAND Internal SSD M.2 SATA - 1 TB

there is so little information out there about this particular model too . its very frustrating and upgrading to 256gb from 128gb is hardly worth the cost

well lets say that 99,99% certainty a 1tb drive will work. why wouldn't it? there could be some retarded #only_asus_things limitations coded in to their bios but I highly doubt. Just buy 1tb or 2tb and return it if the laptop doesnot accept it.