cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is ASUS lighting service normally a CPU hog

archie79
Level 7
I have just built my new rig with a ROG STRIX z390-E Gaming paired with an i5-9600k. I am over the moon with it all apart from the CPU usage with ASUS lighting service for Auora sync rgb lighting. Normally at rest I use 1%-2% CPU. With the ASUS lighting service active I am sitting at an average of 12% CPU usage at rest which is pretty disappointing. I have since uninstalled the lighting service and switched on the motherboard light from BIOS and then use the onboard controller on my case for fan and case lights which imo have better effects and doesn't use any CPU. Is this kind of CPU usage with the ASUS lighting service normal?
4 REPLIES 4

KILLER_K
Level 10
I believe that everyone is saying the static color fixes that issue on here. I'm more surprised yours actually works right now.

Thanks for your response. Yes I have seen people are having a lot of issues with it. Mine seems to be working just that it is a CPU hog. It's not a big deal, I will just uninstall the lighting service and use my case RGB controller as I think the lighting effect is better anyway plus it uses zero resources.

When I tried Armory Crate it was a massive CPU hog. I tried to set affinity to thread 12 on my Ryzen 3600X and it used somewhere above 70% 😄

However last version of Aura Sync was not so much. It is actually fine ...atleast for me. Spikes to about 0,2%.

I've found that it can happen every now and then. Restarting the service seems to solve it.

From reading other posts (I forget which so can't take the credit), I've found that the following install is more reliable - if not using Armory Crate but AI Suite 3. So...

• Uninstall both AURA and the Lighting Service. Reboot.
  • Extract the Lighting Control SW zip that you can get from https://www.asus.com/campaign/aura/uk/download.html.
  • You need to install the 'service' first, so go to the 'LightingService' folder first and run 'AuraServiceSetup.exe'.
  • Reboot.
  • Go back to the Lighting Control folder you extracted and run 'Setup.exe'.
  • Reboot.