Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS X570 ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi – RAM issue

CR32Gig
Level 7
Hello,
I have the following:
MB - ROG Crosshair VIII Hero Wi-Fi running BIOS version number 1201
RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws V 64GB 4 x 16GB DDR4-3600 PC4-28800 CL16 Memory Kit F4-3600C16Q-64GVKC – Black – This is on the Memory QVL list
CPU – AMD 3950x

The issue is, I can’t seem to get the BIOS to set my RAM to 3600 MHz. I set it up through D.O.C.P as Profile 1. Is there no XMP?

When I boot the computer and launch CPUID ROG CPU-Z it shows my memory is at:
DRAM Frequency 1796.4
FSB: DRAM 3:54
CL 16, tRCD 19, tRP 19, tRAS 39, tRC 85, CR 1T

Hmm, according to the SPD tab on CPU-Z the tRC should be 58 for the XMP-3602 profile.
In the BIOS after updating the DOCP it had tRC as Auto and I manually changed it to 58. Rebooted and the Memory frequency still shows 1796.4 MHz Ironically almost exactly half of the 3600 MHz I am trying to get the RAM to run at.

When I set the BIOS to Auto on everything, the ram only will go to 1064 MHz.

I also checked NZXT CAM and it shows Default Clock Speed 1066 MHz and Current Clock Speed 1796 MHz.

In the BIOS it shows that it should boot with the speed at 3600 MHz.

Is there a value I should change somewhere?

*Note, when I started this note, I had a BIOS of 1105. I noticed there is now a BIOS version of 1201. I did update the BIOS but this did not fix the issue.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,
-Craig
4 REPLIES 4

ImmediateAction
Level 7
DoCP is xmp on the amd's
your ram is running @3600 (or close to it) when CPUZ is showing the 1796mhz, it is just showing the speed of the single channel.
You (x) it by 2.

Hello ImmediateAction,
Never mind after the asterisk below.
I found a test where Win will detect my speed:

Microsoft Windows [Version 10.0.18362.535]
(c) 2019 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

C:\Windows\system32>wmic memorychip get speed
Speed

C:\Windows\system32>

So I am running at 3600 MHz.

Thank s again for your input.

Thank you for the feedback. I was able to finally get a good Google lookup for DOCP vs XMP. I did not realize this was an Intel standard.

When I look at the CPU-Z on the Memory tab it shows that the field for Channels # it shows "Dual". Just to do an ABA test I was trying to see if I can change it to single channel and then dual channel. I can't figure out how to do that if it is possible.

When I look at the monitoring tab in the NZXT CAM program, it also shows my Current Clock Speed is also 1796 MHz. It does not show anything about single or dual channels.

I have not run into an issue like this in the past and I can't find a good few words to google for it.

Please let me know what you think.

Thank you,
-Craig

In your bios settings turn off spread spectrum (default is auto) and you will get a neat 1800mhz or 3600mhz. Spread spectrum effect front side bus making it 99.96, etc instead neat 100mhz

Hello RedSector73,

Nice, yes I do like it better that way.

Thank you,

-Craig