cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Zenith II Extreme Shutdown to S5

Wodin
Level 7
Hi i have a Zenith 2 Extreme Mobo with a AMD 3960X CPU. In the Bios setting i have trp enabled to S5. This normally shuts down my pc so it will not show any RGB or lights whatsoever. But since i exchanged my Memory from 32GB Corsair 3200 C18 to 64GB Gskill 3600 C16 it will not shutdown to S5 although its enabled in bios.

So the question is how do i get it to work again in S5?

Things i already tried:

- I updated my bios to latest 0702 version
- I reset the bios to original settings before i made my own changes. i also tried to clear cmos with the button on the back (although it should do the exact same)
- Confusion is that i have the same bios settings as before with the corsair ram, but now with gskill the lcd info display stays on and apparently the power stays on the usb devices since my cooling remembers the rgb settings now... the rest of the lights are out.
Desktop: ASUS Zenith II Extreme, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X, 64GB G.Skill Trident Neo 3600 C16, ASUS RTX 2080 Super OC, Bequiet! Dark Base Pro rev.2, Kraken X72, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2 NVME. Laptop: ASUS ROG G750JZ-T4046H
11 REPLIES 11

palatins
Level 7
I had the same issue to turn off the oled screen with S5, so I tried the S4+S5 setting and that took care of the usb stuff as well including the oled.

Wodin
Level 7
Yes that worked for me to, thanks 🙂

By any chance is your mobo also restarting during boot?
It only happens from cold start, but not at a restart. Don't know if that's normal with these boards or not.
Desktop: ASUS Zenith II Extreme, AMD Ryzen Threadripper 3960X, 64GB G.Skill Trident Neo 3600 C16, ASUS RTX 2080 Super OC, Bequiet! Dark Base Pro rev.2, Kraken X72, Samsung 970 Evo Plus 1TB M.2 NVME. Laptop: ASUS ROG G750JZ-T4046H

No, that's not happening for me now that I have my memory timings stable. Not sure what to make of it. When I was trying to optimize my memory timings, I would get a lot of reboots but only because that timing test failed, and then it would put me back into the BIOS. As I got closer to stable memory timings, it might reboot once and then post. I kept tweaking the timings until it would boot the first time, and then tested those settings with prime95 until I got to where I am now. Perhaps your issue is memory related? Does it still have reboot issues with your memory at default settings?

Wodin
Level 7
Hmm i use standard settings atm so i don't think it's memory related. Or maybe the form they come in, like i have 4 sticks of 16GB. I heard that the more capacity one stick has the more problems that the memory controller will have with it (that was with 1 stick of 32GB). I did some poking around and found out that it's ether Precision Boost/auto overclocker or when i enable 2 numa nodes. I enable 2 nodes cause my memory bandwidth goes up from 80+ to 100+ GB/s and also the latency improves from 82 to 72ns (in Aida64). I keep looking and poking around and let it know if i found out.

By the way this is a nice tool to find good timings for memory: https://www.techpowerup.com/download/ryzen-dram-calculator/

Yep, I tried that first, but I don't think it works well for 128 GB of 3600 memory filling all dimm slots, at least not for the latest crop of threadripper stuff. I didn't want to have to take out half my memory to get the optimum speeds either and I managed to get stable timings at 14-15-15-15-30 at 3400. I did encounter one error after 30 mins of prime95 testing, so loosened the timings one step across the board to 15-16-16-16-32 and so far so good. I don't think I'm really going to notice any real world differences with my CL18 3600 memory set to CL15 3400, so I've moved on to tackling my temps which seem to be idling higher than most other folks at about 47 C. I have a new cooler on the way, so I'll see if that move things in the right direction...

Wodin
Level 7
Memory should be good then indeed. i usually go till i encounter issues or hangups and then ill take it 2 steps back to be safe. I found out that AMD 3th gen including threadripper has a sweet spot at 3600/3733 with latency.

On the cooling part, I have a Kraken X72 380mm rad with 3 fans. It does not say its compatible with sTRX socket because its a little older, but its the same fit as TR4. But tests with it seemed good although i was a bit concerned that it had not full coverage. Now i have idle temps around 44c witch seems ok. In load it will go to like 80c. In games it will stay around 60/65c. At the time i bought it only the thermaltake had a AIO cooler that officialy supported the sTRX socket.. but they seem to bother from residue in the block after a short period.

Thanks, I think you meant the Enermax coolers and I read the same issues with the coolant eventually gunking up the water block. I didn't want to take that risk, so I went with the thermaltake floe triple riing, the specific tr4 edition which has a water block that covers the whole chip. If it doesn't work better than the deepcool castle 360ex I'm using now then I'll send it back to amazon. I get it tomorrow so we'll see...

Wodin
Level 7
Great, let me know how it works

Wodin
Level 7
BTW, Do you use numa nodes? if yes how many?