cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG GL503 GE FPS dropping constantly in every game

Yudistira
Level 7
Hello guys, so my laptop started doing this since the 28th of December , a couple days before that day it was working just fine without any problem without any fps dropping.

So basically , when playing games like red dead redemption 2, or destiny 2. my fps will constantly drop from time to time, i always play games while my laptop is plugged in because it usually gives the best performance. BUT NOW everytime i play my games while PLUGGED IN the fps drop constantly. BUT , whenever i play games while UNPLUGGED the game run smoothly without no fps dropping. When PLUGGED IN, the fan speed of my laptop is really fast and it heats up, but when its UNPLUGGED the fan slows down. Usually when i play games the fan speeds up and its heating up, but no fps dropping. But now its different.

• Here's a video of me playing rdr 2 with the laptop UNPLUGGED (running smoothly no fps drop) :

• Here's a video of me playing rdr 2 with the laptop PLUGGED IN (fps dropping after a while playing):

Now here's the weird thing, when i pressed the "fan" button or "F5" , the fps started to rises but then it dropped within a second , when i pressed the button constantly the fps stabilize but its just not right. :

I've tried many solutions such as:
• Reinstalling the latest nvidia driver
• Updating the BIOS
• Resetting the laptop
• Set the battery power plan to "'High Performance"

Can you guys help me, its stresses me out knowing the fact that a while ago it was working really really well but then all of a sudden it started to do things like this. I bought this laptop about 2 months ago , and knowing its a gaming laptop it should handle most games pretty well.
7 REPLIES 7

Tor_Spo
Level 8
Yudistira wrote:
Hello guys, so my laptop started doing this since the 28th of December , a couple days before that day it was working just fine without any problem without any fps dropping.

So basically , when playing games like red dead redemption 2, or destiny 2. my fps will constantly drop from time to time, i always play games while my laptop is plugged in because it usually gives the best performance. BUT NOW everytime i play my games while PLUGGED IN the fps drop constantly. BUT , whenever i play games while UNPLUGGED the game run smoothly without no fps dropping. When PLUGGED IN, the fan speed of my laptop is really fast and it heats up, but when its UNPLUGGED the fan slows down. Usually when i play games the fan speeds up and its heating up, but no fps dropping. But now its different.

• Here's a video of me playing rdr 2 with the laptop UNPLUGGED (running smoothly no fps drop) :

• Here's a video of me playing rdr 2 with the laptop PLUGGED IN (fps dropping after a while playing):

Now here's the weird thing, when i pressed the "fan" button or "F5" , the fps started to rises but then it dropped within a second , when i pressed the button constantly the fps stabilize but its just not right. :

I've tried many solutions such as:
• Reinstalling the latest nvidia driver
• Updating the BIOS
• Resetting the laptop
• Set the battery power plan to "'High Performance"

Can you guys help me, its stresses me out knowing the fact that a while ago it was working really really well but then all of a sudden it started to do things like this. I bought this laptop about 2 months ago , and knowing its a gaming laptop it should handle most games pretty well.

well mr. you are experiencing thermal throttling, please clean your laptops heat sink and/or repaste. also your VRM maybe overheating because of bad contact to the heat sink.

for me it's seems that your VRM is overheating, have you repasted and neglegted basic rules -no regular paste to VRM -or you should use thermal pads with correct height.

Tor_Spo wrote:
well mr. you are experiencing thermal throttling, please clean your laptops heat sink and/or repaste. also your VRM maybe overheating because of bad contact to the heat sink.

for me it's seems that your VRM is overheating, have you repasted and neglegted basic rules -no regular paste to VRM -or you should use thermal pads with correct height.

Bringing my laptop to the professionals and have it cleaned up is actually my last option to fix it, cus knowing its only been 2 months since i bought this laptop. But imma just try bringing it over to them to handle and update back on the condition.

If i may ask, how thick does the correct thermal pads for my type of laptop? I never bought nor buy these types of things

ALSO im still open for any suggestions or solutions from anyone, please help 😞

Yudistira wrote:
Bringing my laptop to the professionals and have it cleaned up is actually my last option to fix it, cus knowing its only been 2 months since i bought this laptop. But imma just try bringing it over to them to handle and update back on the condition.

If i may ask, how thick does the correct thermal pads for my type of laptop? I never bought nor buy these types of things

ALSO im still open for any suggestions or solutions from anyone, please help 😞

I think 0.5mm pads should be fine but you need to test those out it's 0.5mm or 1.0mm

Tor_Spo wrote:
I think 0.5mm pads should be fine but you need to test those out it's 0.5mm or 1.0mm

Any specific reason that this happen? Cus most of my friends who owns a laptop exactly same as mine never experience this issue.

Also i have quite a small RAM, its only 8gb, could that be one of the reasons tho?

FULLMETALJACKET
Level 11
You will need monitoring tools to see what's going on. Without it, it's nothing but a guessing game.

MSI afterburner is the most popular one, but you can use whichever you prefer. Keep an eye on the temperatures, CPU/GPU load and clocks when it starts lagging.

FULLMETALJACKET7 wrote:
You will need monitoring tools to see what's going on. Without it, it's nothing but a guessing game.

MSI afterburner is the most popular one, but you can use whichever you prefer. Keep an eye on the temperatures, CPU/GPU load and clocks when it starts lagging.

thank you for taking a look at my problem , but yesterday when i start playing red dead again the problem somehow fixed! ive no idea what i just did, i was planning to take it and give it to an asus service centre but somehow the problem's gone. All i remember is , i change the charger i use to a new one (i used to have another asus rog so im using the old charger just to save the new one for the future" and i change the mouse that im using to a wired one! i dont know if that really affects the laptop condition but somehow my laptop is fine now.

Yudistira wrote:
thank you for taking a look at my problem , but yesterday when i start playing red dead again the problem somehow fixed! ive no idea what i just did, i was planning to take it and give it to an asus service centre but somehow the problem's gone. All i remember is , i change the charger i use to a new one (i used to have another asus rog so im using the old charger just to save the new one for the future" and i change the mouse that im using to a wired one! i dont know if that really affects the laptop condition but somehow my laptop is fine now.

You have to be careful with that because you could have different voltages out of the "same" power brick. This new laptops are more power hungry than early models.
Probably your video card was running on fumes and when you put the one that your laptop came with started working like it should. Check both power bricks and the new one should have more amps than the old one.