cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming motherboard Ethernet not working.

patri0t
Level 7
Hi, I built a new PC with Asus ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming mother board which comes with Intel Gigabit Ethernet (https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-E-GAMING/). The problem I'm facing is when I insert the Ethernet cable into my MoBo port it doesn't get detected. But when I use it through my TP Link AC1200 router it works fine. So my MoBo port is not problem as it working through router cable and the direct cable is also not problem as its working with the router. Plus I tested the cable by directly inserting it into my Smart TV LAN port and its working.
I tried various solutions from google results like updating BIOS to latest version, disabling and reinstalling drivers for Inlet Ethernet Drivers, unplugging the direct LAN cable and disconnecting pc from power for some time, but nothing worked.

Everything worked fine on my old PC having Asus Z68 motherboard until last week. Plus another problem I'm facing is on this new system is the internet speed is not going beyond 94Mbps through router. My internet speed is 250Mbps and I get this speed on my mobile through WiFi with the above mentioned TP Link router.

Any help to resolve this would be much appreciated - Thanks!
5 REPLIES 5

0mega9
Level 7
Let me picture this...
You have your ISP router, you also have a TP-Link router connected the the ISP router.
MoBo connects to internet through TP-Link, but not through ISP's...

Open the admin page of your ISP router and check if all available ports are working/enabled.
I would check the TP-Link router settings as well... where set up as DHCP on both and remove/disable IP forwarding.

0mega9 wrote:
Let me picture this...
You have your ISP router, you also have a TP-Link router connected the the ISP router.
MoBo connects to internet through TP-Link, but not through ISP's...

Open the admin page of your ISP router and check if all available ports are working/enabled.
I would check the TP-Link router settings as well... where set up as DHCP on both and remove/disable IP forwarding.

Putting this to just clear out any confusion - so I have an Ethernet cable provided by my ISP and I've my own TP Link AC1200 router (with 1 Internet Input and 4 Lan Output, plus wireless capability of 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz). When I'm connecting my ISP Ethernet cable to my PC directly (into MoBo Lan port) its not getting detected but when I'm using the cable from router (after putting ISP Ethernet into router IN and taking one of the OUT cable from router into PC Lan port) its working. Plus my internet speed is restricted to 94Mbps when using Lan from Router while I'm getting full speed of 250Mbps on WiFi @5Ghz.

patri0t wrote:
Putting this to just clear out any confusion - so I have an Ethernet cable provided by my ISP and I've my own TP Link AC1200 router (with 1 Internet Input and 4 Lan Output, plus wireless capability of 2.4Ghz & 5Ghz). When I'm connecting my ISP Ethernet cable to my PC directly (into MoBo Lan port) its not getting detected but when I'm using the cable from router (after putting ISP Ethernet into router IN and taking one of the OUT cable from router into PC Lan port) its working. Plus my internet speed is restricted to 94Mbps when using Lan from Router while I'm getting full speed of 250Mbps on WiFi @5Ghz.

So the slow speed is resolved, there was problem with my cable going into PC from router. I replaced the cable from router to PC and now I'm getting 250Mbps.

patri0t wrote:
So the slow speed is resolved, there was problem with my cable going into PC from router. I replaced the cable from router to PC and now I'm getting 250Mbps.

I am having the same issue, my laptop gets 800mb down but my new desktop with the z490-e connecting using ethernet directly to my modem only can get 94mbs......wth...just tested on wifi on the desktop and got 600mb down lol...wtf is with this ethernet. Isn't my cable it's brand new and like I said I can get 800+mb down using the cable to my laptop.

I had the same issue with my new Strix z490-A Gaming. When i first started the computer i ran a speed test and only got like 180mbps when I ususally get 650mbps download. I went into ethernet settings and changed to 2.5 instead of gigabit and ran again and got the 650mbps i'm used to. Installed newest driver and now getting 650mbps with it on just gigabit setting. Seems something is off with these Intel Lans especially on the new z490 boards. There's a firmware update for my lan but tbh I'm scared to do worried it might make things worse not better