ROG Member Array

ASUS G74 Laptop Charger Question

Hi there,

I had to replace my genuine ADP-150NB D charger with another one, same model, same everything, looks identical. I bought it off Ebay, cost me 80 dollars.
    I noticed that it had the SAME issue after a day of using it. What i found was something worth getting looked at. The end of the cord that goes into the laptop has a small small pin inside it centered, now this moves back and forth and rattles if you tap it with your finger or just move it up and down gently. I researched a bit and found that its called Signal Pin? correct me if I'm wrong? and it has a 0v output but just tells the charger how much current it needs to send or something via touching the power pin inside the laptop jack? Is this signal pin supposed to be loose and move freely?

Also, the whole metal part around is literally burning hot every now again, sometimes its cool, sometimes it burns

When i took it back to the bloke i bought it off, he told me its to prevent from pushing the plug into the laptop too far? is this a load of crap, he said all the chargers of this kind do it.

Thoughts?
    Last edited by duca1991; 02-17-2013 at 01:39 AM.

The chargers of today are "smart", in that they regulate the current and voltage supply. However, the burning hot part is not good. The charger should be warm (due to the electricity flowing through it), but it should be easily held in your hand. If the connector is damaged, it would get wiggly, as well as the added resistance increasing the heat output.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Zygomorphic View Post
    If the connector is damaged, it would get wiggly, as well as the added resistance increasing the heat output.
    The connector inside the laptop is good, no wiggle at all. Its just in the end of the actual adapter plug theres a pin inside that moves and you can hear it. if you look inside the end and wiggle it you can see it move up and down. Im assuming this should be a solid pin which touches the dc jacks power inside the laptop? Laptop still charges perfect though regardless if the tip is burning hot or warm. hmm

ROG Member Array

Hey again,
    sorry but i need to know if this pin inside the adapter plug is supposed to be moving like it is. If you look inside you can see the pin move down the bottom of the plug and if you tilt it down it comes to the front. Every other laptop charger i see this pin is solid in its spot and does not move. The charger is a ADP 150NB D. The original charger that comes with the asus g74. The seller told me its normal, but occasionally the tip gets burning hot so something must not be right about it.
    Cheers,
    Jamie

The charger should never get burning hot. That sounds like a bad plug tip in the charger cable.
    I am disturbed because I cannot break my system...found out there were others trying to cope! We have a support group on here, if your system will not break, please join!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=16
    We now have 178 people whose systems will not break! Yippee!
    LINUX Users, we have a group!
    http://rog.asus.com/forum/group.php?groupid=23