cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fan Extension Card

PMokover
Level 7
I’m doing a build with an Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme motherboard. AMD Threadripper 3960X CPU. Corsair H100i Platinum liquid CPU cooler. Fractal Designs R6 USB-C case.

The motherboard came with an Asus “Fan Extension Card II.” The case also came with a fan extension card.

I’ve never used a fan extension card before and I’m not sure whether I should. There are enough fan connectors right on the motherboard to cover all of my fans and CPU cooler.

So, what are the advantages to using a fan extension card vs. connecting the fans and CPU cooler directly to the motherboard? Does the card enable me to do anything that I can’t do if I connect directly to the motherboard?

Thanks.
Peter
7 REPLIES 7

Dimachaerus
Level 7
Think the only real advantage in your case is that you can potentially make the cabling neater (i.e. could put the fan extension card in the compartment behind the motherboard and run all of the fan cables behind the board as opposed to having them going to all of the individual motherboard connectors.

Only other advantage is that it gives you more RGB headers if you need them - doesn't sound like you would based on your build though.

The expansion card allows each fan to be controlled individually, so if you have more than what the motherboard allows, you have another 6 on the back.

If anything, you spent a boat load of money on a cpu and mb but have a pretty weak AIO. Go with a 280MM, if not a 360 if doing the AIO route.

zl1_ghost wrote:
If anything, you spent a boat load of money on a cpu and mb but have a pretty weak AIO. Go with a 280MM, if not a 360 if doing the AIO route.

So, which AIO would you reccommend?

If going Corsair, the H115i.

asustts
Level 7
PMokover wrote:
I’m doing a build with an Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme motherboard. AMD Threadripper 3960X CPU. Corsair H100i Platinum liquid CPU cooler. Fractal Designs R6 USB-C case.

The motherboard came with an Asus “Fan Extension Card II.” The case also came with a fan extension card.

I’ve never used a fan extension card before and I’m not sure whether I should. There are enough fan connectors right on the motherboard to cover all of my fans and CPU cooler.

So, what are the advantages to using a fan extension card vs. connecting the fans and CPU cooler directly to the motherboard? Does the card enable me to do anything that I can’t do if I connect directly to the motherboard?

Thanks.
Peter

Quick Question: I too have the Zenith Extreme Fan Extension but unable to find a suitable cable to connect to the power supply. The short card connector has a connector which I've not seen before . .Am I missing something?

asustts
Level 7
I have the Zenith Extreme Fan Extension but unable to find a suitable cable to connect to the power supply. The short card connector has a connector which I've not seen before . . Am I missing something?

asustts wrote:
I have the Zenith Extreme Fan Extension but unable to find a suitable cable to connect to the power supply. The short card connector has a connector which I've not seen before . . Am I missing something?

It should be in the box with the board but the fan extension card is powered by a 6pin PCIE to their custom 6pin on the extention board. Its a cable adapter that is in its own packaging and labed with product P/N 14017-00570000 and is yellow and black. (Edit: added picture)