Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. #1
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Fan Extension Card

    I’m doing a build with an Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme motherboard. AMD Threadripper 3960X CPU. Corsair H100i Platinum liquid CPU cooler. Fractal Designs R6 USB-C case.

    The motherboard came with an Asus “Fan Extension Card II.” The case also came with a fan extension card.

    I’ve never used a fan extension card before and I’m not sure whether I should. There are enough fan connectors right on the motherboard to cover all of my fans and CPU cooler.

    So, what are the advantages to using a fan extension card vs. connecting the fans and CPU cooler directly to the motherboard? Does the card enable me to do anything that I can’t do if I connect directly to the motherboard?

    Thanks.
    Peter

  2. #2
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Dec 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    4

    Think the only real advantage in your case is that you can potentially make the cabling neater (i.e. could put the fan extension card in the compartment behind the motherboard and run all of the fan cables behind the board as opposed to having them going to all of the individual motherboard connectors.

    Only other advantage is that it gives you more RGB headers if you need them - doesn't sound like you would based on your build though.

  3. #3
    New ROGer Array zl1_ghost PC Specs
    zl1_ghost PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rog Zenith II Extreme
    ProcessorAMD 3970X
    Memory (part number)G.SKill 3600 16GB * 4
    Graphics Card #1Zotac 2080Ti
    Storage #1Sabrent NVMe PCIE 4.0 1TB
    Storage #2Sabrent NVMe PCIE 4.0 1TB
    CPU CoolerEKWB Vector
    CasePhanteks Enthoo 719
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
    OS Windows 10 Pro

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    11

    The expansion card allows each fan to be controlled individually, so if you have more than what the motherboard allows, you have another 6 on the back.

    If anything, you spent a boat load of money on a cpu and mb but have a pretty weak AIO. Go with a 280MM, if not a 360 if doing the AIO route.

  4. #4
    New ROGer Array
    Join Date
    Oct 2019
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    10

    Quote Originally Posted by zl1_ghost View Post
    If anything, you spent a boat load of money on a cpu and mb but have a pretty weak AIO. Go with a 280MM, if not a 360 if doing the AIO route.
    So, which AIO would you reccommend?

  5. #5
    New ROGer Array zl1_ghost PC Specs
    zl1_ghost PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus Rog Zenith II Extreme
    ProcessorAMD 3970X
    Memory (part number)G.SKill 3600 16GB * 4
    Graphics Card #1Zotac 2080Ti
    Storage #1Sabrent NVMe PCIE 4.0 1TB
    Storage #2Sabrent NVMe PCIE 4.0 1TB
    CPU CoolerEKWB Vector
    CasePhanteks Enthoo 719
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 1000W
    Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
    Mouse Razer Viper Ultimate
    OS Windows 10 Pro

    Join Date
    Jul 2018
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    11

    If going Corsair, the H115i.

  6. #6
    ROG Member Array asustts PC Specs
    asustts PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Extreme Omega
    ProcessorIntel 7960X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 4x8GB F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
    Graphics Card #1ASUS RTX 2080
    MonitorDell Ultrawide 1440 - 34"
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro
    Storage #22x 970 EVO
    CPU CoolerHeatkiller custom water loop
    CaseCaseLabs BH8
    Power SupplyCorsair 850HX
    OS Win 10x64

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    Quote Originally Posted by PMokover View Post
    I’m doing a build with an Asus ROG Zenith II Extreme motherboard. AMD Threadripper 3960X CPU. Corsair H100i Platinum liquid CPU cooler. Fractal Designs R6 USB-C case.

    The motherboard came with an Asus “Fan Extension Card II.” The case also came with a fan extension card.

    I’ve never used a fan extension card before and I’m not sure whether I should. There are enough fan connectors right on the motherboard to cover all of my fans and CPU cooler.

    So, what are the advantages to using a fan extension card vs. connecting the fans and CPU cooler directly to the motherboard? Does the card enable me to do anything that I can’t do if I connect directly to the motherboard?

    Thanks.
    Peter
    Quick Question: I too have the Zenith Extreme Fan Extension but unable to find a suitable cable to connect to the power supply. The short card connector has a connector which I've not seen before . .Am I missing something?

  7. #7
    ROG Member Array asustts PC Specs
    asustts PC Specs
    MotherboardAsus ROG Extreme Omega
    ProcessorIntel 7960X
    Memory (part number)G.Skill 4x8GB F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW
    Graphics Card #1ASUS RTX 2080
    MonitorDell Ultrawide 1440 - 34"
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro
    Storage #22x 970 EVO
    CPU CoolerHeatkiller custom water loop
    CaseCaseLabs BH8
    Power SupplyCorsair 850HX
    OS Win 10x64

    Join Date
    May 2014
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    12

    How to power up the fan extension card

    I have the Zenith Extreme Fan Extension but unable to find a suitable cable to connect to the power supply. The short card connector has a connector which I've not seen before . . Am I missing something?

  8. #8
    ROG Member Array dayjob PC Specs
    dayjob PC Specs
    MotherboardZenith Extreme Alpha II
    ProcessorAMD Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
    Memory (part number)CMW64GX4M4K3600C18
    Graphics Card #1Nvidia Titan RTX
    CPU CoolerEK-Velocity sTR4
    CaseLian Li O11 Dynamic XL Rog
    Power SupplyCorsair AX1600i
    Keyboard Razer Hunstman Elite
    Mouse Razer Mamba Elite
    dayjob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Reputation
    10
    Posts
    9

    Quote Originally Posted by asustts View Post
    I have the Zenith Extreme Fan Extension but unable to find a suitable cable to connect to the power supply. The short card connector has a connector which I've not seen before . . Am I missing something?
    It should be in the box with the board but the fan extension card is powered by a 6pin PCIE to their custom 6pin on the extention board. Its a cable adapter that is in its own packaging and labed with product P/N 14017-00570000 and is yellow and black. (Edit: added picture)

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20200522_180546.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	1,007.0 KB 
ID:	84972
    Last edited by dayjob; 05-22-2020 at 10:07 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •