cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Install Win 10 M.2 nvme drive

Pavoluhliarik
Level 7
I bought a new M.2 nvme Samsung 970 evo 1Tb drive.I want to do a clean install of win 10 system disk will be samsung 970 evo 250Mb.I want to ask if I should put away the other nvme disk before installing win 10 or I can leave it there for installation. thank you

Does this also apply to two nvme?

Here is the procedure for install of Windows on a Nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to WIndows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives. Typically you don't put anything on SATA port 1 as this is now reserved for the NVME drive and may cause a conflict.

HWinfo https://www.hwinfo.com/ can check to see if done correctly, on the bottom right of the system summary, Operating System UEFI Boot (in green) & Secure Boot (in green) would be clean install of windows on to Nvme.
3 REPLIES 3

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Technically you don't have to remove ANY drives. You just need to select the right one. If you leave them in just by the size difference between the 2 drives alone, plus the fact that that 1TB drive should be listed as "unallocated space" you should be able to easily spot the new and old drive. However if you're not too sure, it certainly cannot hurt, if only 1 storage device is connected, you don't exactly have much choice where to install windows 😉

The only thing i'd recommend directly after installing windows is to install the samsung nvme driver and use that instead of the default windows one.

CuradoKid
Level 7
Thank you so much for posting this. I'm getting ready for a new Windows 10 install to an m.2 drive and can use all the advice I can get.

David

cuke2u
Level 8
I would not change the bios setting either. I don't remember changing any when I installed on my M.2 drive
Asus Strix Z390-F, Intel i9 9900k, 32gb Team Group Night Hawk RGB, Corsair ML120 Pro RGB Premium AIO, be quiet! Straight Power 11 650W, AMD Vega 56, Lian Li Alpha 500X RGB, Sabrent Rocket Q 1TB NVMe