cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Throttlestop and power supply

tkd_ron
Level 8
I have a g74sx and it is the first gaming laptop I have owed and when I am playing games for a couple of hours I noticed that the power supply brick gets pretty hot and I am just wondering if this is normal, also I started using throttle stop a few months back and last night I noticed after a couple hours of crysis that the brick was even a little hotter than without it , I guess what I want to know is it bad for the power supply using throttlestop..other than being fairly hot to the touch there has been no burning smell or any other problems just don't want to destroy my power brick.
5 REPLIES 5

n1ghtl1fe
Level 10
"WARNING: ThrottleStop is an Intel Core 2 and Core i performance monitoring and modification tool. Some manufacturers throttle CPU performance to protect their motherboards or the power adapter from being damaged so keep that in mind before making any changes. Using ThrottleStop to overclock or over volt your CPU or to disable a laptop manufacturer's throttling scheme may damage your computer and is at your own risk. "

This quote is from the creator of throttlestop, I personally dont use it unless theres a game that really suffers from throttling. It pulls more power from your brick so it heats up faster = shorter life. I read elsewhere that purchasing a higher output power supply could remove this problem though.

source: http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/531329-throttlestop-guide.h...
G75
-i7-3610QM -16GB DDR3
-256GB Patriot SSD -Nvidia GTX 670M 3GB
-1TB HHD Storage

xeromist
tkd_ron wrote:
is it bad for the power supply using throttlestop.

I think the bricks are spec'd pretty close to the maximum draw of the machines and that there isn't much breathing room. Most likely you will be OK as long as the brick is able to radiate enough heat but it might have an overall shorter life. I would avoid setting it among blankets or other areas where there is inadequate air circulation. Also, as was already mentioned you could buy a bigger brick which would leave more head room and operate closer to optimal load.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

tkd_ron
Level 8
Thanks guys for the info , if I wanted to get a bigger power supply what would be some suggestions as to wattage and brand? thanks

xeromist
Not sure I have any references handy. I'm pretty sure people have changed on the G74 so I'd say do some searches on the forum here and you might find something.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

tkd_ron look as this post from Chastity@ASUS, I think that is what you are looking for.

http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?2329-ATTENTION-G73-53SW-Owners-CPU-Throttling-to-798mhz-and...