cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

asus rog strix scar iii shadows drive

leonid_matisov
Level 7
Hi, everybody!
There is a new feature in the scar iii laptop series - shadow drive. It is visible in the system only if the keystone is in place.
I have configured the shadow drive but still can't find out the following:
1/ How much space is allocated for the shadow drive? Where is it reserved?
2/ Is the space variable? Can ot be fixed?
3/ Is the drive really encripted? What is the encryption type? Once I plug the ssd of the laptop to another system, will the shadow drive still be visible?
Thanks!
4 REPLIES 4

Clintlgm
Level 14
I don't know anything about this but maybe this page will help you I also see a help page just for this. https://www.asus.com/support/FAQ/1039692/
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Gps3dx
Level 12
leonid.matisov wrote:
Hi, everybody!
There is a new feature in the scar iii laptop series - shadow drive. It is visible in the system only if the keystone is in place.
I have configured the shadow drive but still can't find out the following:
1/ How much space is allocated for the shadow drive? Where is it reserved?
2/ Is the space variable? Can ot be fixed?
3/ Is the drive really encripted? What is the encryption type? Once I plug the ssd of the laptop to another system, will the shadow drive still be visible?
Thanks!

read a review here: "Unfortunately, Shadow Drive encryption requires Windows 10 Pro, but local units only ship with Windows 10 Home."
That said - the encryption is probably based on windows's "BitLocker" tech, with some custom script to mount/dismount the drive from windows explorer's view.
in a YT review- you can see that they allocate the drive ~900GB ( and in my opnion it is a whole dedicated drive ).
The NFC key that comes with the laptop, beside running that script I stated, can also be used to apply specific configuration within the 'Armory Crate' app.

IMHO - Asus invents new gimmicks to lure ppl into buying stuff they don't really need.
unless you share that laptop with others, making it practically a 'kiosk' PC - IMHO - this feature is pure BS, with a hint of a lie - since they don't sell the laptop with PRO edition of windows ( thus NO BITLOCKER option is available ).
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gpx3dx, that is a fully believable answer. I have seen this question a number of times and your answer is the best. Sadly ASUS is not what it used to be.

Thanks!
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

samandhi
Level 7
It appears that the drive is a variable size that can use all the space on all your hard drives, but mine seems to be only 700mb atm (I haven't used any space on it yet). It also appears to be stored in c:\Program Data\Asus\Virtual Drive.

To your last question, you can't take it with you, the NFC key only unlocks the encrypted "image" drive that was created on the pc that was paired with the key. I do believe that Windows Bitlocker is the encryption method that is being used for the key.