cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73 Keyboard issues

Mif
Level 7
I spoke with Brian at the Intel Lanfest Folsom this past week regarding my G73.

The keyboard on the G73 has issues. If you are a fast typist like myself, the system will constantly miss keystrokes, even though the keys were pressed.

Brian wanted me to mention this as it is KILLING this laptop for me, and apparently it is an issue he has heard of before.

Any suggestions?
4 REPLIES 4

Retired
Not applicable
Hi,

We apologize for the G73 missed keystroke issue that you are experiencing on this notebook. I've already posted the following on another G73 thread here but I'll post it again here.

The issue you're experiencing is most likely caused by one of two things: either keyboard roll-off where if you accidentally hit a couple of keys at the same time then one or more of the key presses may not be detected, the other cause is if you are are typing faster than the keyboard buffer on this notebook can handle then some key presses will not be recognized. This is a hardware limitation we encountered due to having a numpad on this notebook. To my knowledge, this is not something that we can fix but it may be beneficial to contact our notebook support at 812-282-2787 or http://vip.asus.com/eservice/techserv.aspx to see if there is any rework or replacement keyboard we can offer that fixes this issue.

Best Regards,

ASUS Support

Hi OC,

I must mention that I have a friend who also has the same notebook, and does not experience this dropped key issue. I have done a lot of testing, and the issue is definitely not the result of keyboard roll-off.

How fast is considered to be "too fast" for this keyboard? I average around 60 WPM, which is above average, but I feel it is completely acceptable as a normal speed.

Again, I had spoken with Brian at Intel Lanfest, and again this past weekend at PDXLAN 16 in Portland regarding this issue.

Also, there has been a user who reported that cleaning the flex cable contacts on the keyboard ribbon cable also helped eliminate the issue. I will give your notebook department a call regarding this as well. I just feel for such an expensive laptop, a bit more action on Asus's part would be in order, considering this is considered an ROG product, and should be of the highest quality. No one can seem to give me a definite answer.

Retired
Not applicable
If you disable the trackpad in the BIOS this issue goes away totally. It's also solved by dumping the synapitcs driver, though then you have no way to turn the pad on/off.

I have created a Sticky Thread for troubleshooting the touchpad and Keypad issues available here: http://www.asusrog.com/forums/showthread.php?883-Troubleshooting-ASUS-G73-Touchpad-Problems