cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CPU temps high after upgrading to Corsair H115i

vitalsine
Level 9
I recently had the pump on my Corsair H110i fail which caused a thermal shutdown. I replaced the H110i (was about 4 years old) with a H115i. I reset my overclocks to stock, and for some reason I am getting higher temps than when I had the H110i in, even without the OC. After just 3m15s in OCCT I am hitting 92C at stock clocks! I've reseated the pump several times now, as initially we were thinking it was a contact issue. After seeing no results, I decided to clean the stock TIM off the pump head and replace it with some fresh Artic MX4, I saw about a 4C improvement. CPU Package is idling at ~54C! Cores are idling around 30C. I've been chatting with someone on the Corsair forums, https://forum.corsair.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=192887 but we haven't been able to find a solution to my problem. This is really starting to get on my nerves because I use this PC for work, on top of this issue, the thermal shutdown caused my RAID5 array to fail, which I have also been trying to fix... luckily I can recover most of the data... This has been a huge headache to start out the new year. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

9 REPLIES 9

skellattarr
Level 10
I have that cooler I found that you have to screw it down little by little across each screw evenly so its level on the cpu
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

skellattarr wrote:
I have that cooler I found that you have to screw it down little by little across each screw evenly so its level on the cpu

I made sure I did the screws in an X pattern, but I will try reattaching again and gradually screwing them in. Seems like a shot in the dark, but I'll try anything at this point lol. Thanks brother, I will let you know if it works!

So I gave that a shot and no luck. From the looks of the TIM it looks like its got a pretty solid contact.

The CPU may have become so hot so the contact between the heat spreader and the CPU has become poor. You can try delid if you want to keep it alive.

vitalsine
Level 9
Its a 6850k, so its soldered. I'd rather not delid it. Most confusing to me is that when I first booted with the H115i my temps were normal, after one reboot they've been stuck at 50c idle... I needed a break last night so I did a little gaming and the CPU temp never went over 60c. Still not great but at least its stable... Maybe I just eat it as the processor is just over 4 years old anyway? Just don't want to cause any further damage is my biggest concern.

I haven't had 6850K but many comment on degrading and high package temp on the web.

6850 package temps are usually 10-15c higher than the average core temps. You are a tad higher than that, but a larger difference is normal for that CPU.

What you describe sounds like the pump isn't running. Load Corsair ICUE and report back your H115i temps. Make sure the H115i is plugged into the mobo with USB for best control and monitoring.

If your AIO temps are sky rocketing during load, you will know that your heat transfer is good and there is an issue with the cooler. Again, I suspect the pump speed.

vitalsine
Level 9
I know that the new pump is working fine. Running at 2080RPM, fans at 1100RPM, idle liquid temp is 25c, under full load as high as 32c. I overclocked this 6850k about 4 years ago when I got it, was running 4.3 ghz at 1.3v with no issues up until the h110i pump died. Under full load on OCCT I was only hitting 79c after 4 hours, idled around 25c. When I put the h115i in after the the h110i failed, I first reset my BIOS settings to stock, on first boot temps were good, I didn't run any stress test as it was first boot after the thermal shutdown.. afterward I went back into BIOS and re-enabled RAID and just chose the XMP profile for my overclock, modest 4ghz, manually set CPU voltage to 1.22 and the rest of the voltages I manually set to stock. Since then I have been getting these higher temps... setting back to stock does nothing, I've remounted the pump several times to assure the contact was good, which I can confirm it us, pushing firmly on the pump head results in maybe a 1-2c difference under full load.

Here is some detailed info from HWiNFO. I am recovering files from my crashed RAID and downloading some things from the internet, browsing these forums... nothing major.

vitalsine
Level 9
Liquid temps are actually kind of high in that. For whatever reason the fans were running slow. Closed HWiNFO and launched Link and the fans kicked up to 1100RPM, bringing pump temp down roughly 4c, CPU temp also came down by 4c. Sorry, I wasnt even looking when I snipped that image. So just take into account temps are usually 4c lower than showing that those charts.