cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

building pcs is a pain

ZZCOOL
Level 7
is it just me that finds building a pc incredibly obsolete, those stupid 24 pin and 8 pin cables often causes you to bleed trying to connect them, not to mention the even more primitive connections of actual pins that you can literally bend from the smallest touch bye bye 400 dollar motherboard, why can't a standard be made maybe magnetically attached cables why not use the usb standard why do graphics cards still need extra cables i understand that they needed it in the past as they needed more power than motherboards were designed to deliver but now no theresn o excuse for it still being needed, why can't be building be simplified i am literally in pain in my finger for trying to squeeze the 8 pin cable in and connect it, why is both a 24 pin and 8 pin needed, why overcomplicate everything, and don't tell me a motherboard can't be designed to work just with a 24 pin cable or a simpler connection, yeard ago i had the idea of wireless fans that magnetically attach to the case using wireless power and still noone has done anything like that.
7 REPLIES 7

YabaX
Level 8
BRUH!!! just buy an extension cable and wire it to mainboard then wire the other end from the back.

xeromist
Everything you are complaining about are standards. Without standards nothing would work together. New standards would mean billions in existing hardware no longer works. It would also mean any manufacturer trying a new standard wouldn't be able to sell its products to an existing install base. Perhaps a clean slate design would look very different but because the current standards still work there is no reason to change them.

Also, yes it's just you. But feel free to start a company making proprietary adapters. Perhaps you can find a niche.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

100% agree with you. Thats why I buy a laptop. Portable and No Pain.

mdzcpa
Level 12
No way I can agree. I love building PCs.

First off, it is easier then most folks think. I find it entertaining how friends and family are awe struck when you say "yeah, I built that PC." It's really pretty easy and if folks knew just how plug and play the process is they would be far less impressed.

Of course once you master the basic science of building a PC, then comes the art. The art of choosing the best components that work best together and compliment one another. Components well matched in price/performance with no glaring weak links or overkills. Then there is the art of PC aesthetics. It is rewarding to build a good looking system whether it is a full blown RGB disco, or stealth and understated. Finally the art of overclocking. Squeezing the most free performance out of the system merely by adjusting system parameters.

When it all comes together the right way it is a very rewarding experience. Not much different then building a car, a house, or any other hands on project.

If you can't be bothered by connecting a few cable, the PC hobby is not for you. Instant gratification is not as nearly as intense as a PC build that you put a little time and effort into. I only do a few builds a year for myself and my kids. I wish I could do more. I get bored with my systems after about 90 days and yearn to build a new one. Too bad my budget and available time do not allow it. Recently I've resorted to building "new" systems out of old parts just to do it. Nothing is as rewarding as that first boot up 🙂

bobbagels
Level 7
Nothing is as rewarding as that first boot up

Eh, I could think of a few things :rolleyes:

mdzcpa
Level 12
Eh, I could think of a few things

After looking at your system specs, I can see why lol

davemon50
Level 11
ZZcool, I don't have an issue with inserting the cables, and I have fat fingers. Honestly I don't see the issue. I agree with mdzcpa's comments above, it's about personal satisfaction with your accomplishment, and the thrill of the process itself. If that is a pain for you then you should be taking your credit card to Best Buy and buying something off the shelf.
Davemon50