cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Building New Desk Mod

InVal3d
Level 9
Hello Everyone!

Just thought I'd share my journey on doing a custom desk mod build. this is my 2nd go around at doing one of these. I am happy with my 1st one I built, I just know where the flaws are and want to better myself and build a better one! I'll be posting the build updates at least weekly. I work long hour so don't get to do much working on the desk until Sundays when I'm off. If you guys have any question just hit me up. Hope you enjoy!

Posted 1-7-20

First step was to put together 2 4x8 MDF boards with biscuits and wood glue then let it sit for the night to dry up. I had to use 4 straps to tighten the boards together for a tight fit and to make sure the boards didn't slip apart

Next day I unstrapped it all and drew out the layout of the bottom of the main desk and started cutting it out and got this....Not the easiest thing to maneuver a 8x8 MDF board to cut around, pretty heavy lol.

After cutting it out I drew the layout of where I wanted to put the main walls up. I didn't take any pics of this cause i forgot :confused:. But this is the after math of drawing it out and then making some of the walls. I decided to change up the walls to a better more stable way as you'll see later on. This is the first way I did it though.

The next day I started to work on it I just wasn't satisfied with how the walls just seems flimsy and honestly looked crappy to me. So I took a minute and looked at it and decided to go a different route and this is the aftermath. I think it looks way better then what it did. The pictures below are from 2 days of changing the walls up and measuring and cutting all the other boards for the desk and putting it all together. I used a router to cut out the holes instead of the previous method of cutting strips out and screwing them together.

More to come!
17 REPLIES 17

InVal3d
Level 9
1-9-20

Got some time tonight before dinner so I started the leg section

ninezerofive
Level 10
Man, I wish I had the skill or the tools to pull this off. I assembled IKEA desk once, that's about as far as my expertise goes !

ninezerofive wrote:
Man, I wish I had the skill or the tools to pull this off. I assembled IKEA desk once, that's about as far as my expertise goes !

Lol, my brother has the IKEA desk setup. I want something unique. The framing is the easy part of this setup. Now the placement and design of the fiberglassing im going to be trying is going to be the difficult part.

Rob_W_
Level 12
:cool:

InVal3d
Level 9
Here is some more progress pictures

The right side of the desk where the bracket area i will mount the CDROM drive in and a side shot where I'm mounting some of the fans

Another shot of the fan bracket on right side. Rounded over the top edges so the fiberglass should have a smoother corner

The small bracket for the extra USB slots

Straight on shot of the fan mounts for the left side of the desk.

Both fan and USB mount

InVal3d
Level 9
Got some more work done tonight. Here's a pic of all the brackets done

Getting the Fleece ready for resin. Have to do it in sections since the desk is so big. I started using staples and spray adhesive to hold the cloth down but then just switched to adhesive and it seemed to work fine.

Here's couple pictures with the resin on it, now it's just drying.

xeromist
I'm liking the cloth+resin
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
I'm liking the cloth+resin

Thanks! Sucksers gonna be heavy!!! lol

InVal3d
Level 9
Got most of the other side done. Now letting it dry then shifting the desk around tomorrow and clothing the back and hopefully will start laying down some fiberglass