cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY - Battery is stuck at 0%, random shutdowns

Xehanort
Level 8
Best laptop i've ever had, so it's a bit sad to see it finally showing signs of failure. Hopefully it can be fixed.

So my battery has been having problems since early 2019, when all of a sudden it would only charge to 82%. This happened after one time I was using it unplugged and it all of a sudden shut down. After that I let the laptop cool down, put it charging all night and the next day it was at 82%. Since I almost always use it plugged to AC I didn't mind it at all, but after a few months it started showing 0% and it does not charge. It still worked fine but now it's starting to shut down randomly. No matter what it's doing whether its heavy tasks or just in desktop doing nothing. Sometimes it can stay on for minutes and other times hours so it seems to be completely random. Fortunately it preserves whatever I was doing so maybe it's not shutting down but going to sleep? Not sure. It can't be hibernating since I always disable it (32 gig hiberfil.sys file is wack).

I did notice a pattern though while I was observing the battery LED. When the light is constantly red it doesn't randomly shut down. Same if it's blinking red. This only seems to happen when the light is red and then randomly turns green for like a split second and then back to red. While in this state I also observed that the battery tray icon keeps refilling instead of constantly empty. Or maybe i've just been lucky 😛

So I already ordered a new battery, genuine too. I was just wondering if anyone who had this laptop has experienced this and if a solution was found, even if it's temporary. I'm terrified of opening the laptop and replacing the battery but it seems I have no way out, bought it in 2015 so warranty has expired and sending it to ASUS will probably break my wallet 😞

Thank you for your time.
2 REPLIES 2

kiki_kiki
Level 7
Xehanort wrote:
Best laptop i've ever had, so it's a bit sad to see it finally showing signs of failure. Hopefully it can be fixed.

So my battery has been having problems since early 2019, when all of a sudden it would only charge to 82%. This happened after one time I was using it unplugged and it all of a sudden shut down. After that I let the laptop cool down, put it charging all night and the next day it was at 82%. Since I almost always use it plugged to AC I didn't mind it at all, but after a few months it started showing 0% and it does not charge. It still worked fine but now it's starting to shut down randomly. No matter what it's doing whether its heavy tasks or just in desktop doing nothing. Sometimes it can stay on for minutes and other times hours so it seems to be completely random. Fortunately it preserves whatever I was doing so maybe it's not shutting down but going to sleep? Not sure. It can't be hibernating since I always disable it (32 gig hiberfil.sys file is wack).

I did notice a pattern though while I was observing the battery LED. When the light is constantly red it doesn't randomly shut down. Same if it's blinking red. This only seems to happen when the light is red and then randomly turns green for like a split second and then back to red. While in this state I also observed that the battery tray icon keeps refilling instead of constantly empty. Or maybe i've just been lucky 😛

So I already ordered a new battery, genuine too. I was just wondering if anyone who had this laptop has experienced this and if a solution was found, even if it's temporary. I'm terrified of opening the laptop and replacing the battery but it seems I have no way out, bought it in 2015 so warranty has expired and sending it to ASUS will probably break my wallet 😞

Thank you for your time.

I have the exact same problem, and it has been more than 2 years that my battery is dead. I could not find any solution to this problem. Also, as you mentioned this is an issue with the faulty battery. I live in a country where I have no access to Amazon, so I try to keep calm and turn every single auto-save possible so I won't lose much work . I would be more than happy if anyone finds a solution!

BigJohnny
Level 13
Time for a new battery. more places now than ever to get them.
One of many
https://www.achargers.com/original-battery-asus-g751jyt7035h-88wh-p-37137.html?gclid=CjwKCAiA44LzBRB...