cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) : ram error + Q-Code 22

Arckorus
Level 7
Hello all,

First, it's my first post here and i'm glad to expose my issue with all of you.

So i've recently build a new PC and i'm rise to a problem with my RAM.

My build :
MB : Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi)
CPU : AMD Ryzen 9 3900X
RAM : Corsair Vengeance LPX White DDR4 2 x 16 Go 3200 MHz CS 16 (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16, it's in the MB's QVL)
GPU : Asus GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER OC
SSD : 2 x Samsung Serie 860 EVO 1 To
PSU : Seasonic Prime Ultra 850 Titanium
Case : NZXT H710I White
Air cooling : Noctua NH-D15

The problem is that i can't use my two sticks of RAM together. When i do a dual channel i've the Q-Code 22 with the yellow light (corresponding to a DRAM error) and don't know what to do.

Here is the list of all combinations that i've tried with there respective Q-Codes :

| : empty slots (from left to right : DIMM_B1 - DIMM_B2 - DIMM_A1 - DIMM_A2 according to the MB's manual)
G : the "Good" stick of RAM, the only one with i can boot and use my OS
B : the "Bad" stick of RAM, i can do nothing with it

01 - G||| -> it boots perfectly
02 - |G|| -> it boots perfectly
03 - ||G| -> it boots perfectly
04 - |||G -> it boots perfectly

05 - B||| -> Q-Code : 22
06 - |B|| -> Q-Code : 22
07 - ||B| -> Q-Code : 22
08 - |||B -> Q-Code : 22

09 - |G|B -> it's what i want but i've Q-Code : 22
10 - |B|G -> it's what i want but i've Q-Code : 22

11 - G|B| -> Q-Code : 22
12 - B|G| -> Q-Code : 22

13 - ||GB -> Q-Code : 1F (humm strange...)
14 - ||BG -> Q-Code : 22

According to combinations from 01 to 08, i've concluded that the problem comes from my stick of RAM but i've already RMA my kit of RAM for a new one and the problem is similar. It's seems improbable to have successively two corrupt kits... so i'm little confused.

About the Q-Code 22 i've not found a lot of solutions online but i've tried this :
- Reset CMOS (multiple times) : not work
- Downgrade BIOS : not work (currently i've the latest version : 1201)
- Remove for a couple of minutes the CMOS battery from the MB : not work
- Activate XMP (AKA D.O.C.P) : i'm correctly pass from 2133MHz to 3200MHz in single channel but the Q-Code 22 is always here.
- Check all CPU's pins : no bended pins
- My air cooling is not too tight

So will any of you have any ideas ?
Currently, i hesitate between try a new brand of RAM (like G.Skill trident Z maybe) or do an RMA for my MB...

Thanks to all of you !
5 REPLIES 5

User_od
Level 8
I recently had to RMA the same Corsair CMK32GX4M2B3200C16 kit.
I was getting crashes to the desktop and random system freezes, then all of a sudden I had a major crash and the PC wouldn't POST anymore.

One of the memory sticks had completely failed.

I confirmed this by testing one stick at a time.
Then a few days later I replaced both sticks with some new Crucial 3200 e-die RAM which worked fine.

So I don't really rate Corsair now. (cheap rubbish imho).

As that was the second time I had faulty ram from them in the last couple of years.

skellattarr
Level 10
make sure when you buy ram that it say optimize for AMD gskill has that
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

In the past I've had trouble with corsair LPX Ram and Ryzen. If you were asking me I would AVOID all Corsair LPX with Ryzen systems. It is one of the kits where you never know what your getting and production changes (different IC's or dies or chip manufacturer) don't change kit number (as long as the primary timings are the same) and/or cause them to even consider altering the version number.

Request another kit from who you bought it from. G.skill or Ballistix would be better choices. Channel A (from cpu) 2 & 4 should be normal configuration, that works.

Alright, thanks you so much for your responses !

I didn't know that AMD Ryzen + Corsair RAM was not a very good duo.

But now I'm 100% sure that the problem comes from RAM, because I was able to test the two sticks in a friend's PC (who has also an AMD processor) and the result is exactly the same.

I sent back my kit this afternoon and I plan to go on G.Skill Trident Z (by the way, it's the RAM that my friend uses), I don't know yet which model exactly, I will see that.

I'll keep you informed in the next days, when I'll have my new kit, in case of people come here with the same problem.

And yes, indeed, I saw that there are G.Skill sticks optimized for AMD, some of the "RGB" range (with a "X" at the end of the references) and all the "neo" range.

Thanks you !

Arckorus wrote:
Alright, thanks you so much for your responses !

I didn't know that AMD Ryzen + Corsair RAM was not a very good duo.

In fairness, it's just LPX version of Corsair ram, I've have had issue with and don't recommend using.