cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

(help me) 16x GPU with NvME on CH7

EhRabzz
Level 7
I seem to have issues getting my 1080Ti to run at x16 , I have an NVME drive, so I'm assuming that's the "problem" , but even with 16x + 4x thats enough lanes on my 3800x to take care of that, leaving me to believe it's my settings, can someone help me please! 😄 I've tried putting my drive in both top and bottom lanes , and can't seem to figure it out
13 REPLIES 13

Baio73
Level 8
nVme drives MUST be installed in the bottom slot (the farest one from the CPU socket), otherwise the PCIex slot 1 will run @reduced speed.
Do you have any other PCIex card?

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Baio73 wrote:
nVme drives MUST be installed in the bottom slot (the farest one from the CPU socket), otherwise the PCIex slot 1 will run @reduced speed.

Baio

Sorry none of what you suggest is supported in the manual. The Top NVME slot is direct connection to CPU and is normally the best option to use. It does not effect the speed of a single x16 PCIE device. I would and do use use the top NVME slot (nearest the CPU) on CH boards in preference to the second NVME slot.

OP Your manual shows the configuration and what you can expect. Of note OP if you have x8 Speed there is no graphics card on the market able to use this level of bandwidth. That said if you meet criteria below x16 then you should see x16 for your graphics card. Did you use HWInfo or something to check bandwidth or simply relying on the information from the BIOS ?

There is procedure to install Windows on NVME Drive

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in, I don't think this would work with previous versions.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

Hope you find this of help.

RedSector73 wrote:
Sorry none of what you suggest is supported in the manual. The Top NVME slot is direct connection to CPU and is normally the best option to use. It does not effect the speed of a single x16 PCIE device. I would and do use use the top NVME slot (nearest the CPU) on CH boards in preference to the second NVME slot.

OP Your manual shows the configuration and what you can expect. Of note OP if you have x8 Speed there is no graphics card on the market able to use this level of bandwidth. That said if you meet criteria below x16 then you should see x16 for your graphics card. Did you use HWInfo or something to check bandwidth or simply relying on the information from the BIOS ?

There is procedure to install Windows on NVME Drive

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable iso of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in, I don't think this would work with previous versions.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the install.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

Hope you find this of help.

im honestly more bothered by the fac tthat i cant seem to even get a x16 option, i know x8 and 16 have like no difference, its more so just knowing that its not working that's bothering me. my nvme drive is installed in the bottom slot ( top slot forces GPU into x4 ) , no other pcie devices and im still stuck at x8. Also i dont see how that process would give me back my cpu lanes 😛 , i more or less do that while installing windows but no CSM or secure boot, but otherwise the same process, I don't have any issues with my m.2 drive , and I check through bios and GPU , both report x8

Baio73 wrote:

Baio

no other pcie devices, and NvME is in bottom slot 😞 top slot gives me x4 , bottom gives me x8 at best

EhRabzz wrote:
no other pcie devices, and NvME is in bottom slot 😞 top slot gives me x4 , bottom gives me x8 at best

What software are you using to state that?
Try with GPU-Z.

Baio
CASE Lian Li 011D XL CPU AMD Ryzen 7950X3D COOLER Corsair H150i Elite Capellix MOBO Asus ROG Strix X670E-A Gaming Wifi RAM 2x16Gb Corsair Dominator Titanium 6000 [CMP32GX5M2B6000Z30] PSU Asus Thor 1200P VGA Asus ROG Strix RX 6900XT DISPLAY LG 34GK950GF AUDIO Logitech G560 SDD NVMe WD Black SN850 4Tb INPUT Logitech Pro wireless + Powerplay + Corsair MM 700 RGB - Corsair K100

Baio73 wrote:

Baio

What this guy said is correct and I have the C7H with a 2080 and a 2TB NVME.

It does state in the manual that if you place the M.2 in the slot closes to the CPU that it shares its lanes with the top PCIex slot. So if you put an M.2 in that slot it will then downgrade the speed of the graphics card in the top most slot from x16 to x8.

The only way to get full speed is to place the M.2 into the furthest most slot from the CPU and then you will get your x4 speed for the M.2 and your x16 for the graphics card.

It is in the manual, I highly recommend you follow that as there is absolutely no other way to get it to work.

I was wrong, my bad. You should use the bottom one, disregard what I said about using the top, it is incorrect.

RedSector73 wrote:
I was wrong, my bad. You should use the bottom one, disregard what I said about using the top, it is incorrect.

No problema man! 😉

I still don't understand the reason why Asus enumerates PCIex slots starting from the bottom to the lower… and the opposite for nVme slots!!
When I first build up my rig, I immediately put the nVme in the upper slot as to me it was obvious it was the first one.

Baio

Baio73 wrote:
No problema man! 😉

I still don't understand the reason why Asus enumerates PCIex slots starting from the bottom to the lower… and the opposite for nVme slots!!
When I first build up my rig, I immediately put the nVme in the upper slot as to me it was obvious it was the first one.

Baio

Just like man kits are installed furthest from the CPU with one empty slot in between. 😄