cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Troubles with Vengeance RGB Pro + Asus Crosshair VIII Hero + Ryzen 3800x

SergioAugustoAV
Level 7
Hi everyone!

I bought and received this week the combination described on the title: Asus Crosshair VIII Hero with a Ryzen 7 3800x and 16 GB of Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro TUF 3200 MHz (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16-TUF).
My problem is that I can't set the memory to work at 3200 MHz. The only frequency in which I'm able to boot the computer is 2133 MHz. Any other configuration, and I end up stuck in the BIOS logo screen with the motherboard Q-Code showing A0.
I already tried:
- Updated BIOS to latest version (1201 if I'm not mistaken)
- Unplug everything from the computer, maintaining only the basics
- Using only one of the two memory modules
- Using D.O.C.P to configure the module to 3200 MHz
- Using manual mode and configuring all by myself
- Tried to configure the module at lower frequencies (3000 MHz and 2666 MHz)

All these options make me end up at the BIOS logo screen stuck with the A0 Q-Code. I then have to boot in BIOS safe mode, set frequency to 2133 MHz (which is the Auto default) and reset the computer. The weird thing is, even when I do this reset, I end up stuck again on the BIOS screen logo. I have to turn the computer off physically through the button and wait a while. Only then the computer turns on with memory at 2133 MHz and boots to Windows.

With the memory set to 2133 MHz, it boots as it should.

Has anyone already seen this kind of behavior? I don't know if my motherboard came with something wrong or if it is the memory that is not compatible for some reason with this system.
4 REPLIES 4

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi Sergio and Welcome to ROG.

Ryzen is picky with OC RAM (3200MHZ is OC RAM) which means there is no D.O.C.P profile, so your system will default 2133MHz as a safe set of SPD (Serial Presence Detect) Timings and voltage settings. To make your RAM run at their rated frequency will require setting the Timings and voltage manually in Bios.

Unfortunately your kit of RAM (CMW16GX4M2C3200C16-TUF) do not appear on the MB QVL and therefor have not been tested in conjunction with the Motherboard.
This does not mean they will not work however, you will have to play around in Bios with your AI Overclock tuner set to "manual" within the DRAM timing control section. Your Timings and voltage (SPD information) can be got from the Tools section in Bios or from within Windows application CPUz. These values are not guaranteed to work and sometimes require an increase in DRAM voltage or a loosening of your primary timings.

You can also use applications such as Thaiphoon and Ryzen RAM Calculator and how best to use them go here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTekAB1Zzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqhyVNPhaM

Good that you have updated your Bios and btw: A slight CPU Overclock can help.

Hope this helps!! and don't hesitate to ask if there's something confusing.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

Thank you for your answer. Since the day I made the post, I ran several tests. Seems like the problem was the motherboard. I borrowed a pair of Ryzen Certified G.Skill memories from a friend that uses the same motherboard (only difference is that he uses a 3900x) and in my motherboard the error I described persisted with the G.Skill pair. No D.O.C.P. or manual configuration could make it work. I then tested the Corsair memories on this friend's motherboard and they worked right away with D.O.C.P. configuration (although the timings were slower than what advertised by Corsair).
I ended up returning the motherboard to the store I bought and I'm now waiting for a refund.
I plan to buy the same motherboard in another store since the whole process with this first store was weird. The motherboard box came without any kind of seal from Asus (no plastic around the motherboard box or stickers on the side of the box where it opens up).
I'll let you know when I have the results of new tests with a new motherboard.

Just to update here. I returned the motherboard to the store. They ran some tests and confirmed that the memory slots were troublesome. I bought the same motherboard in another store and got some G.Skill Neo 3200 MHz 2 x 8 GB. It is now working perfectly.

MeanMachine
Level 13
Thanks for reporting back Sergio 🙂 Glad you have it sorted.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]