cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to Bypass Battery Warning While Updating BIOS ROG G751JT - solved

dyduty
Level 7
Hello all!:cool::cool::cool:

I have a 4+ year old veteran here, however the laptop still has above average performance, although it's a 2014 model:

ASUS ROG G751JT
Intel Core i7-4720HQ
16 GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970m
120 GB SATA SSD
1 TB HDD

I have made a research on compatibility with NVME SSDs, and I have opened my laptop to confirm that I have the required PCIe slot (from what I know some G751s do not come with PCIe), and I do!

So far so good, however I have never flashed the BIOS, so it's currently with the version the laptop was shipped with - 210. To support NVME SSD, the BIOS needs to be updated to 211 and above.

I have tried to upgrade it with WinFlash, downloaded from ASUS (tried both 211 and latest 213) and through the embedded in the BIOS EasyFlash with no luck. As my battery is dead (0% not erroring, not charging) the update wouldn't go through. :(:(:(

According to my research, once I see the blue screen alert, advising the update would not continue due to the battery level being below 20%, I need to type "risky" using my keyboard. I saw videos of it working, on all sorts of ASUS laptops (ROG and non-gaming), however there's no reaction in my case whatsoever.
I have tried to reset the BIOS to default settings, multiple restarts, etc., however the situation remains the same. As instructed I put the BIOS files in a FAT32 formatted flashdrive.

Would anyone know another way to bypass the error?

I hope I provided all details needed.

If you're reading this - thank you for getting to the bottom to this awfully long thread, concerning just a stupid battery error. Any input is greatly appreciated!!!:o
11 REPLIES 11

dyduty
Level 7
I was able to flash the BIOS of my G751JT by simply disconnecting the battery without removing it. The warning seems to be not applicable for missing batteries.

dyduty wrote:
I was able to flash the BIOS of my G751JT by simply disconnecting the battery without removing it. The warning seems to be not applicable for missing batteries.

Can you please elaborate a bit more? Do I have to open the computer and physically "unplug" the battery?

Jin1337
Level 7
i need help with this as well 😕

Blake1
Level 10
Hello GianDelR & Jin1337,
May I know which model do you have and what kind of issue did you encountered?
Your battery are dead and can not be charged anymore?
Thank you.

alain1022
Level 7
Hello,
I have the same problem as well. I cant flash my BIOS due to the dead battery(can't be charged), I have tried the Easy Flash method and type "risky" and it doesn't work on me, I have the same model (Asus ROG G751JT).

Thanks,
Alain

alain1022 wrote:
Hello,
I have the same problem as well. I cant flash my BIOS due to the dead battery(can't be charged), I have tried the Easy Flash method and type "risky" and it doesn't work on me, I have the same model (Asus ROG G751JT).

Thanks,
Alain

Hello Alain,
Please send your device to service center .
Thank you.

dyduty
Level 7
Hello everyone

I have opened the laptop (configuration in the original post) and unplugged the cable connecting the battery to the motherboard, without removing the battery itself, as I was concerned it might disrupt the airflow in the laptop.

Once this was done, the check was bypassed as there was no battery detected by the system 🙂

Dharkheart
Level 7
I have a GL531GT. I have tried flashing the BIOS thru Windows but I get stuck on boot with the "make sure the battery is 20%" issue. Typing 'risky' doesn't work. I downloaded BIOS to USB and booted re-booted; went to 'Advanced' and selected 'EZ-Flash,' which located the file on the USB; I clicked, got the "do you want to use this file?" question then clicked 'yes.' That brought up the same screen I get after flashing in Windows: I cannot get past the low battery warning. My battery is not connected because the connector to the motherboard was broken. I sent it for repair but was informed it couldn't be fixed, need a new motherboard, blah blah. I'm not spending $650-800 on a new motherboard (my mind is boggled the ASUS can't figure out how to recognize the A/C power is plugged in and to bypass the battery thing).

Does anyone have any information as to how I can update my BIOS? This is driving me crazy. I own 3 other newer Rogs and the GT-AXE11000 router but I'm seriouslt re-thinking the value of buying products that can be stymied by such a simple line of code.

Hello, I have the same issue regarding the battery (internally these devices are not that sturdy as you can see) but when I went into the BIOS and selected EZ FLASH, when selecting the firmware file press F11 and that should surpass the battery warning.

Hope it helps!
Best regards