cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What is the perception of ASUS graphics card in your eyes

Mason
Level 10
Hello to everyone in the ROG community out there. Thanks for checking out my post and sharing your thoughts. The reason for this post is because ASUS branded graphics cards have recently become the #1 graphics cards on the market so I want to follow that up with a poll to see what you all think. As many of you are system builders/upgraders (I think that's a word), you represent a major group of our intended market and your input will be invaluable.

Being that this is an AMD GPU sub-forum, this poll will give us an idea as to what you think about our AMD graphics cards compared to other vendors' AMD cards. For the poll, choose the option for the vendor you think makes the best AMD graphics cards and then list who you think is 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th in a post. Aside from ranking your top AMD card vendors, any other thoughts, comments, things you would like to see are of course more than welcome! 🙂

Thanks for voting!
39 REPLIES 39

Gnarly
Level 7
Finally got my 3 7970's working well with my Rampage iv. They released a new Catalyst driver recently (12.3) and that seemed to improve performance and crashing issues in Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. I was also having some serious latency issues and choppy video issues. Turned out to be the GPU Tweak Monitor that was running in the background (part of the bundled GPU Tweak Suite). I couldn't believe it! The application defaults to load at startup , so I never really bothered with it. I kept running DPC Latency checker and the numbers were over the top. Once I realized it was that monitor, which i turned off. The overclocking began.

Pushing GPU Tweak to the limit (a killer app btw) and overclocking my CPU to a little over 5000mhz I was able to get incredible frame rates. 205 max in Battlefield. Overclocking all three cards was a bit slower which seems interesting. I am trying to find the right settings as I write. A lot of fun. Thanks ASUS for the easy to configure OC utility.

I dislike AMD as there drivers completely suck. Fortunately the cards are ASUS and I really like their Tech support for the most part. 7970 trifire ALL GOOD! Only took AMD 3 months to come out with a driver that truly targets the 7000 series cards.

Anyone else with a 7970 trifire configuration?
Rampage IV
Intel 3960 @ 5.1 24/7
32gb G Skill Ripjawas @2400 MHZ (F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD)
Asus HD 7970's x3 (Swiftech Kimodo Water Blocks)
Cosmos II (10 LED Fans w-built in fan controller)
Corsair AX 1200 PSU
Cusrom Water; Chipset/CPU/Cards/ETC
All Votex PWM Fans (German Engineered); Best I have ever used

Gnarly
Level 7
Finally got my 3 7970's working well with my Rampage iv. They released a new Catalyst driver recently (12.3) and that seemed to improve performance and crashing issues in Crysis 2 and Battlefield 3. I was also having some serious latency issues and choppy video issues. Turned out to be the GPU Tweak Monitor that was running in the background (part of the bundled GPU Tweak Suite). I couldn't believe it! The application defaults to load at startup , so I never really bothered with it. I kept running DPC Latency checker and the numbers were over the top. Once I realized it was that monitor, which i turned off. The overclocking began.

Pushing GPU Tweak to the limit (a killer app btw) and overclocking my CPU to a little over 5000mhz I was able to get incredible frame rates. 205 max in Battlefield. Overclocking all three cards was a bit slower which seems interesting. I am trying to find the right settings as I write. A lot of fun. Thanks ASUS for the easy to configure OC utility.

I dislike AMD as there drivers completely suck. Fortunately the cards are ASUS and I really like their Tech support for the most part. 7970 trifire ALL GOOD! Only took AMD 3 months to come out with a driver that truly targets the 7000 series cards.

Anyone else with a 7970 trifire configuration?
Rampage IV
Intel 3960 @ 5.1 24/7
32gb G Skill Ripjawas @2400 MHZ (F3-17000CL11Q2-64GBZLD)
Asus HD 7970's x3 (Swiftech Kimodo Water Blocks)
Cosmos II (10 LED Fans w-built in fan controller)
Corsair AX 1200 PSU
Cusrom Water; Chipset/CPU/Cards/ETC
All Votex PWM Fans (German Engineered); Best I have ever used

Hi,

I have been using the following Graphic Cards in the Past:

Several low end Asus Cards in PC I have built for other People aimed at average/light use.

XFX GeForce GTX260 896MB DDR3 XT on Asus Rampage Extreme (Intel):
This Card Performed not to my Liking

2 x Asus HD 3870 EAH3870/G/HTDI/512M in Crossfire on Asus (serial i cant remember) Intel.
Still Running after more than 5 years in gaming PC for my youngest son

SAPPHIRE HD 4870 X2 2G GDDR5 PCI-E on Asus Rampage Extreme (Intel):
This performed as a Beast ! But very hot = noisy Fan
Later on I have put a Water Block on it and it was Superb.
However before warranty period ended the Fan started making noise and stopped working witch resulted in Fried GPU.
The Webshop where I bought the Card no longer excisted, So I contacted Sapphire directly. There Service was impecable: I received a complete new Card and a free vesion of a Battlefield BadCompany 2 Game. That Card still functions perfectly after 4 years (sold it to Friend).

Currently in my Rigg:
2 x Asus HD 6870 EAH6870/2DI2S/1GD5 running in Crossfire on Crosshair V Formula (AMD):
This is best setup yet, Performing Superbly
Good Overclocking !!
Very Happy With this

So my List looks like this:
1. Sapphire, reason: Excellent Service, Up to Date Products, Nice Promotion Offers
2. Asus, reason High Quality, High end Cards, Up to date, Different Versions of same model, ROG Forum
3. XFX, not the best but price/quality is oke

stitch
Level 9
I've bought video cards for myself in this order, you be the judge: ATI Rage Fury Pro, ATI Radeon 8500, ATI Radeon 9700, ATI Radeon 9800, ASUS Radeon X800XL, HIS Radeon HD 2900XT, XFX Radeon HD 4850, Sapphire Radeon HD 4870, Sapphire Radeon HD 5750, ASUS DirectCU Radeon HD 6850, ASUS DirectCU2 Radeon HD 7970.

My favorite shop locally advises ASUS just on the fact that RMA isn't a nightmare. Sapphire makes cards that work just fine, they're just horrible to deal with when doing an RMA. Plus, for the price to feature ratio, I've found the ASUS cards just gave generally a better value.
Windows 11 Pro | ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-E GAMING WIFI | AMD Ryzen 7800X3D | 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR5 6400 | ASUS ROG STRIX GeForce RTX 4070 TI

i buy any product based on its feature vs. its fellow variants from any other brand.

the one that offers the nicest feature set, gets my vote with my wallet 🙂

it's just pure coincidence 90% of the time ASUS offers the nicest things available to the player, and because most times MSI / HIS / XFS products are always in short supply, Gigabyte are not very interesting, and i'll never touch any thing from power color or sapphire they seem to mostly care for the low end market, and very boring products.
i7-3970X, Corsair H80, 32GB G.SKILL, ASUS RAMPAGE4 Formula, ASUS VG278H(3x27") & 3D Vision2, EVGA GTX 690(2x) 5760×1080*3D, OCZ ZX 1250W, OCZ 256GB Vertex4(2x), Seagate 3TB(6x), Antec LanBoyAir, Logitech G510, G600 & Z560 THX, Sennheiser PC163D, TrackIR5, Thrustmaster T.Flight Hotas, Saitek PZ35

Granger
Level 10
I havent voted as the only thing I know in the list is Saphire (I will know Asus cards when my 6870 direct cu arrives)
So my vote wouldn't be very objectif.

Asus FTW!!
Chassis: NZXT Switch 810. - MB: Rampage v Extreme x99. - CPU: Intel Core i7 5820k. - Memory: 16GB Ripsaw 4 DDR4 2400MHz. - GPU: 2x Sapphire Tri-X R9 290 OC Edition 4GB.
PSU: Corsair AX1200i. - Storage: 1x Samsung 830 60GB SSD + 1x Samsung evo 840 120GB SSD + 1x Samsung 850 Evo 250GB SSD + 1x Seagate Barracuda 500GB HDD.

psyside
Level 9
In the past Asus, now with recent voltage locks on 7970 DC cards, you guys dropped the ball alot! no more big respect for you guys, im sorry but this is huge issue and on top of that also no official statement from Asus, why would you lock cards with huge overclocking potential! with amazing cooling and power delivery!
CPU- i7 2600K@5.0Ghz[II] Noctua NH D14[II]MB - Asus Maximus Extreme IV B3[II]VGA - GTX680/7970 inc [II]PSU - CM 1000W RP[II] Display - NEC2490 BK SV[II] Soundcard - Xonar STX[II] Headphones - Sennheiser HD595[II] Speakers - Adam A3X[II] Case CM HAF 932[II] Mouse - Logitech G5[II]Keyboard - Logitech Wave[II]HDD Samsung F3 Spinpoint 1TB [II] Crucial C300 128GB OS [II]Ram - 8GB RipjawsX@2133mhz

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
I was going to buy a couple of 7970Dcuii cads at one point untill I read this business about them not having features found even on stock cards in terms of overclockability. Then saw there was absolutely no response here or anywhere else to the understandable confusion and complaints.
ASUS are coming last on that list right now.