cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Egpu pcie on G551JW-312dmt

techno_mat
Level 7
Hello everybody,

I recently bought an Asus rog G551jw with this configuration : i7-4750HQ, 12go Ddr3, 1*128gb SSD + 1*500GB SSD, GTX960M, Windows 10, bios version 209.

This laptop is pretty cool for old games, but the GTX960M have pretty poor performance in all recent games (doom, the witcher, modern warfare for example...).

So i decided to upgrade it with an external Gpu, this operation Will cost nothing to me because i can borrow gpu and psu from my work...
I have a gt740 and a gtx 1050 for testing.

So yesterday i bought a edc gpu beast for my test.

So, does anyone ever tested this with a G551 ?

Is there anything i need to know ?

Do i need a specific drivers ?

Is there anything in the bios i need to modify ?

Is it plug'n play ?

Thank you !

Sorry for m'y bad english i'm french !
3 REPLIES 3

techno_mat
Level 7
Anyone ?

xeromist
Might be best to just try it. The chances that someone else has your exact laptop with the same external adapter are slim.

In the past some laptops (such as one I had from Lenovo) had a whitelist of GPUs so if you tried to connect something else with a PCI-E ribbon it wasn't recognized without a BIOS mod. I don't know if that is still done on any modern machines.

If it's just a physical adapter then it should not require a driver. Windows will only need the driver for the GPU.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Alexmaaz
Level 7
Just check this guide it might help you:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?88324-Guide-G75VW-eGPU-installation-with-gtx-750ti

techno_mat wrote:
Hello everybody,

I recently bought an Asus rog G551jw with this configuration : i7-4750HQ, 12go Ddr3, 1*128gb SSD + 1*500GB SSD, GTX960M, Windows 10, bios version 209.

This laptop is pretty cool for old games, but the GTX960M have pretty poor performance in all recent games (doom, the witcher, modern warfare for example...).

So i decided to upgrade it with an external Gpu, this operation Will cost nothing to me because i can borrow gpu and psu from my work...
I have a gt740 and a gtx 1050 for testing.

So yesterday i bought a edc gpu beast for my test.

So, does anyone ever tested this with a G551 ?

Is there anything i need to know ?

Do i need a specific drivers ?

Is there anything in the bios i need to modify ?

Is it plug'n play ?

Thank you !

Sorry for m'y bad english i'm french !