cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

expected fps

ramack
Level 7
Hey,
Nub here to the forum, helping my son build a low end gaming desktop. I'm re-using parts from a Linux box I built a couple years ago, figuring I could toss in a decent graphics card, maybe a monitor. I was expecting better results , but this is not even as good as his HP gaming laptop:
HP Pavilion Power 15-cb059NR 15.6" Gaming Laptop Computer - Black Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5; 8GB DDR4 SDRAM; 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive

Desktop build info
Budget: minimal
Main uses of intended build: low -mid gaming
Parts required: TBD
Previous build information (list details of parts):
MB: Asus M3A78
CPU: AMD AM2 5800 3Ghz
RAM 8Gb
Graphics card: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 TUF-GTX1650-4G-GAMING
Monitor resolution: Acer KG241Q Pbiip 23.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) TN 144Hz 1ms
Storage requirements:
Will you be overclocking: TBD

His laptop (above) is getting over 100 fps in Steam while playing Rocket League. The desktop is only getting 60-70 fps. We were expecting more like 120 fps or better. The GTX 1650 was an open box from Micro Center, could I possibly have a slightly defective graphics card? I'm trying to figure out why this HP laptop is out performing the desktop with such large margin.

Any input is welcome, thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

neonitron
Level 7
Are you using a monitor with the desktop PC that supports 144hz or higher? (EDIT: Just saw you did specify that it is a 144hz monitor - the below notes still apply)

Also, are you using a DVI-D cable? I know in my particular situation, I had to use either DVI-D or DisplayLink cable - NOT HDMI. Then I needed to ensure that in Windows and in my NVidia settings it was recognizing the 144hz monitor (ensure that everything was set to 144hz).

Then in Rocket League, I had to specifically specify in the game settings to max out at 144 fps. By default it is capped at 60 fps. After that, it was running nicely.

I am using a GTX 1070 with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, Asus prime as320i-K, 8 GB of DDR4 RAM, and steam game files are installed on an SSHD.

neonitron wrote:
Are you using a monitor with the desktop PC that supports 144hz or higher? (EDIT: Just saw you did specify that it is a 144hz monitor - the below notes still apply)

Also, are you using a DVI-D cable? I know in my particular situation, I had to use either DVI-D or DisplayLink cable - NOT HDMI. Then I needed to ensure that in Windows and in my NVidia settings it was recognizing the 144hz monitor (ensure that everything was set to 144hz).

Then in Rocket League, I had to specifically specify in the game settings to max out at 144 fps. By default it is capped at 60 fps. After that, it was running nicely.

I am using a GTX 1070 with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, Asus prime as320i-K, 8 GB of DDR4 RAM, and steam game files are installed on an SSHD.

I used a DVI cable. Yes, properties were set to 144 Hz. And the Rocket League frame rate was maxed out. I also set it to multiples of 60 & 144. Thinking that since the card was an open box and the previous customer may have also had issues with the card, I went back to Micro Center to exchange the card. There weren't any more ASUS GTX-1650s, so I exchanged the ASUS card for a EVGA card, also a 1650. R&R'ing the card showed no improvement. I went back to Micro Center, found a deal on an ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F / AMD CPU combo and bought it. I put in the EVGA GTX 1650, loaded all the drivers then went into Rocket League. The frame rate in single player mode has been 220, multi-player has been 160.

Problem solved,. Not the solution I had planned for, but I've got the fps i was after (+more).

xeromist
You can bench the components. Compare your results to publicly available results/reviews of the same components.

However, for a budget build I would look for used parts on Craigslist. It's almost always a better value than buying a new low-end part at retail.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…