cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Apex vs Extreme

hdtvnut
Level 7
Of course, used Apex's are a pain to find, and new Extremes are very pricey. I found both second-hand, so am deciding which to get. I plan to use a 9900KS with a custom water loop, and push for all-core above 5 GHz with the coolest VRM's, etc possible.

I found descriptions of the Apex VRM's which sound adequate for more than the 9900KS, but fewer details about them on the Extreme. Otherwise, I see the differences in ram sockets and comm. Does anyone familiar with both have a preference?

Wonder why both are discontinued - planned limited production, or price tier didn't sell?
8 REPLIES 8

KotOr368
Level 9
apex have 8 phase VRM no iGPU VRM. 2 ram slots. extreme have 5 Phase VRM + iGPU VRM 4 ram slots and other difference is back ports and internal ports. so in summary apex is strongest Z390 Asus has.

Braegnok
Level 14
hdtvnut wrote:
Of course, used Apex's are a pain to find, and new Extremes are very pricey. I found both second-hand, so am deciding which to get. I plan to use a 9900KS with a custom water loop, and push for all-core above 5 GHz with the coolest VRM's, etc possible.

I found descriptions of the Apex VRM's which sound adequate for more than the 9900KS, but fewer details about them on the Extreme. Otherwise, I see the differences in ram sockets and comm. Does anyone familiar with both have a preference?

Wonder why both are discontinued - planned limited production, or price tier didn't sell?

If you plan on overclocking, benchmarking, and running 4000MHz + memory,.. the Maximus XI Apex is your best option.

Maximus XI Apex PCB Breakdown. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifKz50yBTXw

DM039
Level 7
Buy apex.
I was debating between same motherboards and bought Extreme. If you can find Apex for adequate money ( cheaper than Extreme) go for it.
Note that Extreme will require Eatx case. eventhough if case can fit e atx motherboard doesn't mean that you will be able to pass cables through rubber holes.
There is actually downsides. If I could get back to that time, I wouldnt go for Extreme. Apex has more room for overclocking. Extreme requires 4 ram stick to reach good freq speed.

Thanks for your inputs. I was leaning in the direction of the Apex, but not knowing them very well,

Carlyle2020
Level 10
Since the Extreme has more "bling", ask yourself the following:

Will you ever regret having put an atx board in an eatx capable case?

Best Regards
An Apex owner who did not have this dilemma

hdtvnut
Level 7
I have both used boards sitting here, cost me about the same, and am still pondering which one to keep.

After reading comments here, a dozen reviews, and studying the manuals, I see they are similar, except:

1. VRM's: Apex VRM's apparently are of a better, more expensive design which put out smaller transients with load changes.

2. Memory: Apex has a more optimized design for 4800 speed vs Extreme 4400 speed.

3. Expandability: Extreme has four DIMM sockets, Apex two; two on-board M.2 sockets, Apex none; many more headers for fans, pumps than Apex. Both accept DIMM_2 modules, which allow a total of four M.2 drives on the Extreme, two on the Apex.

4. Case: Extreme's E-ATX size probably will require a bigger case than the mid-tower I have now. The board would fit, but things will be tight.

It appears that because of the VRM's and two-DIMM designs, the Apex has more OC capability. I note that the Apex has OC records, but didn't see any with Extreme.

Extreme wins on expandability, but I think Apex is my choice if it actually has more performance. The main thing is item 1; I read several glowing descriptions of the Apex VRM's being 8+0 phase instead of 5+1 phase. But is it overkill?

Anything else to consider?

hdtvnut
Level 7
Now testing/using the M11 Apex with my Sam M2 boot drive mounted in the DIMM_2 module. One socket seems pretty fast, the other slow. The manual only says when the module is used, PCIe slot 1 drops to x8. If I wanted multiple M2 drives, I'd go with the other board.

The 9900ks is cooled by a Noctua temporarily, but tomorrow I hope to install the custom loop: Optimus/EK XRES 100-D5/EK PE 360. Wanted a HWL 360GTS, but nobody had one. Tried a 360GTX, but it was too thick for my mid-tower.

Installed Apex in the case with the PE 360, 3-140's and a 2080ti O11G at 1750/15500. Had no trouble with 2x8 Tridentz 4266's. At the X50 default+XMP 1, full load 1.32v vcore/195 w tdp pushes temp to about 83 c. As expected, this MB stays cool. Will study more posts before pushing.