cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BSOD after crash during OC process

vil-2
Level 9
Hello fellow gamers

I am kind of desperate. Yesterday I wanted to give AI Suite and Intelligent Processors 5 a try to boost my i7 6700k.
Unfortunately my computer crashed during the process of overclocking with this program.
I have since lost the control of the pc. I have BSODs with critical process failure message. I have managed to uninstall AI suite, reverted back to default both in the program and in the Bios of my Maximus VIII Hero, even with the clear CMOS button, but to no avail.
BSODs appear either during boot or on desktop after a few minutes.
Is my hardware destroyed? What can I do?
Any help really appreciated!
8 REPLIES 8

hortons71
Level 7
You can try a Safe Boot with Windows usb or disc, so only the most essential processes start. Then clear away overclocking programs and other programs you suspect. Restart. See if it solves anything. Otherwise, you may have to run a Windows repair from usb or disc. It is possible that something has been damaged, but if it is okay from bios then it is worth a try. Maybe some system files have been damaged so you need to run a repair.

vil-2
Level 9
Thanks a lot.
I tried to boot in safe mode but it didn't work.
After that I booted with a USB key with windows 10 but it crashes with the same bsod during installation.
I then mounted a different ssd just to be sure mine was not the culprit, I managed to boot into windows but the same bsod happens after a few minutes.
I removed one ram card, then the other one, didn't change anything.
I'm lost. In the Bios the default settings are loaded so it should be good, I don't understand what is causing this issue. Any idea, anyone?

Edit: I have two random messages with the bsod. The first is "critical process died" and the other one which appears more occasionally is "crypto library internal error"
Considering everything started after a crash of AI suite and its bloody automatic OC process, it must be something related to the CPU and/or mobo mustn't it? Would it be possible that somehow loading fail safe defaults in the Bios didn't revert the modifications?

I've never had Crypto Library Internal Errors myself, but there is some information on the web. Here is one ...

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/all/artifacting-crypto-library-internal-error-and/...

I just trimmed my memory settings so it might not be the best time to run diagnostic tests in overclocked state, but my CPU was okay.
A useful tool.

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/19792

vil-2
Level 9
Okay, but now the pc is so unstable I can't even boot to desktop so I can't try those.
Considering I have tried with a different ssd, or by alternating the ram sticks, or by unplugging my graphic card and use the IGP, for no result, I fear that this might has something to do with my cpu...
How the hell is that even possible I thought AI suite would be safe. I'm really out of solutions now, and I don't have a spare machine to check my cpu.

davemon50
Level 11
My guess is you damaged your CPU. If I were you, I would look online for the cheapest replacement I could find with the same socket, and see if you can boot successfully. If it does, buy another good CPU (and OC more carefully and gradually thereafter).
Davemon50

davemon50 wrote:
My guess is you damaged your CPU. If I were you, I would look online for the cheapest replacement I could find with the same socket, and see if you can boot successfully. If it does, buy another good CPU (and OC more carefully and gradually thereafter).

I came to that conclusion as well. Yesterday I tried a couple of CPU diagnostic tools within Ultimate Boot CD (UBCD), like CPUStress. But the tests failed or didn't even start.

Only problem is that 2nd hand market is scarce here in Switzerland so there are not many 1150 CPUs to be found.

I am very disappointed with Asus AI Suite 3 and I will never use it again to overclock my hardware. I usually do it in the BIOS, I wanted to give it a try, my (big) mistake.

HisEvilness
Level 7
Boot into the BIOS ad just reset your PC hardware to default. If BSOD persist check the C drive for errors.