cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My R6E exploded

Quozzo
Level 7
So I've been using my R6E for a few months without issue, when suddenly my screens went blank. I thought my PC crashed and looked at it in disdain, only for a spark to ignite within my case. It took my over a week for me to build up the courage to tackle such a herculean task due to the waterloop and having other prior engagements, but today was that day. To remove the motherboard I first took out the pair of 1080Ti's and then the RAM and noticed something was amiss on the RAM stick. It had a scorch mark. I looked near the DIMM slot to see where it had indeed exploded...

So my question is, would an RMA also cover the cost of the 1080Ti and RAM too since it took out the 1080Ti and I really don't want to be putting a scorched component back in my PC.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

G75rog
Level 10
The failure according to the pics is on the pcie 12 volt bus caused by a massive short in your 1080 card. The incidental smudge on the RAM stick shield is the result of the flash fire from the catastrophic vaporizing of the 1080 12v lines.

40 yrs experience in troubleshooting and repair of communications and computer equipment lead to that conclusion. Since you converted the 1080's to water then their warranty has been voided.

Best I can recommend is carefully cleaning the residue from the pcie slot and not attempting to use it again. Run a single card in the other slot.

Retired
Not applicable
terrible, very sad
yes that's the 12v golden fingers that shorted, or something on the GPU PCB
short on the 12v line can be a real explosion, frying cables, insulation and anything in between
btw: the waterblock screws is rusty in the image, did you have water leak before?

((

Quozzo
Level 7
Well, I'm hoping to take it back on Monday and see what they say. Fortunately I live in the EU (for now) so the laws are quite strict about components blowing up.

It's not rust on the screws, it's just where the black paint has come off when using the Allen key. It's not leaked. It was the top card as you can see by the photos and the waterblock sits underneath the card so even if it did leak there's no way of it dripping up to the 12v rail.

This isn't the first R6E I've had, it's my third. The others had little faults such as the LCD screen not working, but nothing like this before.