cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USB 3.1 Gen 2 port not working.

nuraman00
Level 7
I have the Crosshair VII X470.

The USB 3.1 Gen 2 port doesn't work. It's never worked.

But today I really wanted to use it as I am going to transfer a lot of data, and I wanted to make use of it.

If I plug the same device into a different USB port, it is recognized.

Any ideas on why, or what I can check? Thanks.
4 REPLIES 4

amadeus1171
Level 7
The same thing is happening to me with this RMA'd board. Sometimes it shows up. Sometimes it doesn't.

amadeus1171 wrote:
The same thing is happening to me with this RMA'd board. Sometimes it shows up. Sometimes it doesn't.

So you ended up returning the Crosshair VII motherboard?

nuraman00 wrote:
So you ended up returning the Crosshair VII motherboard?

No, it's the board I received from RMA that is having this problem. Support and I have been back and forth several times because they kept sending me borked boards.

The first replacement board they sent me posted inconsistently. They checked it out, claimed there was nothing wrong with the board, then sent it back. I was still having the same problem after replacing *everything*. And when I say everything, I mean *EVERYTHING*. I replaced the memory, case, CPU, power supply, GPU, and it still wasn't working. I sent that board back and said I don't want that board back. I wanted a different board.

The second replacement worked, but as stated before, the ASMEDIA USB 3.1 would appear and disappear randomly, and one of the USB 3.0 ports would keep reinstalling itself in the OS.

I had been without my computer for 4 months. I don't know if I can tolerate sending it back to RMA again.

I'm thinking of selling this board and buying a Gigabyte instead.

This is not the quality of ASUS I'm used to.

amadeus1171 wrote:
No, it's the board I received from RMA that is having this problem. Support and I have been back and forth several times because they kept sending me borked boards.

The first replacement board they sent me posted inconsistently. They checked it out, claimed there was nothing wrong with the board, then sent it back. I was still having the same problem after replacing *everything*. And when I say everything, I mean *EVERYTHING*. I replaced the memory, case, CPU, power supply, GPU, and it still wasn't working. I sent that board back and said I don't want that board back. I wanted a different board.

The second replacement worked, but as stated before, the ASMEDIA USB 3.1 would appear and disappear randomly, and one of the USB 3.0 ports would keep reinstalling itself in the OS.

I had been without my computer for 4 months. I don't know if I can tolerate sending it back to RMA again.

I'm thinking of selling this board and buying a Gigabyte instead.

This is not the quality of ASUS I'm used to.

Thanks for sharing.

This has always been one of my fears when building a PC. That there's something wrong with the motherboard, and it can't be fixed or evaluated without sending it back.

I would not want to disassemble the PC and send the motherboard back. Not because of the time involved, but because the more times I do this, the more likely I would be to break something. Perhaps a cable, or there could be an electrostatic issue.

I think the latter happened to me in 2005. I was comparing two video cards (a less invasive procedure than a motherboard comparison), and swapped two back and forth a few times. Finally I decided that the new one wasn't really compatible, so I went back to the old one for good. Except this time, the PC wouldn't power up anymore.

If you don't mind, whenever you reach a resolution, such as using a different brand motherboard, please update this thread. I'm hoping to finally see a happy ending for you.