cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My i9-9900K idle clock speed went up after updating to Bios 1401

mijingakure
Level 7
Hello, my Motherboard is Maximus XI Formula, I've been using Bios 1302, Windows10 Power Option set to High Performance, I didn't tweak any OC settings in the Bios, all running at default setting. and in Windows 10 my i9-9900K idle clock speed was at around 4.3Ghz.

I dont really turn off my Computer, my Win10 been having some random reboot that I discovered in the morning when I wake up, so I decided to update the Bios to latest version 1401, and now my i9-9900K idle runs at 4.7 ~ 4.8Ghz, I even reset Bios setting to default after the Bios update, and did not touch any OC tweaks, is this idle speed for this CPU counts as normal ? I wonder why it went up by just updating Bios.... please if someone could help with an answer.
2 REPLIES 2

Falkentyne
Level 12
Idle clock speed is supposed to be 4.7 ghz without C-states if turbo boost ratios for each core loads are not set separately. 4.7 ghz is the 8 core turbo boost load speed. If default turbo boost ratios are enabled, it will boost to 5 ghz on 1 and 2 core loads.
If it was idling at 4.3 ghz, then the turbo multipliers were not set properly. 4.3 ghz is the default cache ratio. 3.6 ghz is the "base" clocks (if turbo boost were disabled without multiplier override).

Falkentyne wrote:
Idle clock speed is supposed to be 4.7 ghz without C-states if turbo boost ratios for each core loads are not set separately. 4.7 ghz is the 8 core turbo boost load speed. If default turbo boost ratios are enabled, it will boost to 5 ghz on 1 and 2 core loads.
If it was idling at 4.3 ghz, then the turbo multipliers were not set properly. 4.3 ghz is the default cache ratio. 3.6 ghz is the "base" clocks (if turbo boost were disabled without multiplier override).

My C-States in BIOS is set to [AUTO]
Basicly everything in BIOS is set to [AUTO] , I didn't tweak anything. all using default setting.