cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Very bad performance on a G731GW

BlueLightning
Level 7
Hi all! So I recently got an Asus ROG G731GW with the following specs: I7-9750H, RTX 2070 Max-P, 16GB RAM (2x8) and 500GB SSD Intel 660p.

I first saw the bad performance in Fortnite, where at 1080p on max settings I keep fall below 100fps. Then, recently, on Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order I keep getting under 60fps on 1080p max, which from what I've seen is pretty bad. I've run some benchmarks:

- UserBenchmark: https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/23839189
- 3dMark TimeSpy: https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/43124347?

The scores seem really low compared to others I've seen on the internet. I've tried undervolting the CPU, but got no results. The temps seem to be around 80 degrees for the GPU and the CPU can get hot, most of the times over 90. I use the Turbo from the Armoury Crate and the fans seem to be at max speed.

Any tips?
4 REPLIES 4

Gps3dx
Level 12
BlueLightning wrote:
Hi all! So I recently got an Asus ROG G731GW with the following specs: I7-9750H, RTX 2070 Max-P, 16GB RAM (2x8) and 500GB SSD Intel 660p.
I first saw the bad performance in Fortnite, where at 1080p on max settings I keep fall below 100fps. Then, recently, on Star Wars Jedi Fallen Order I keep getting under 60fps on 1080p max, which from what I've seen is pretty bad...
The scores seem really low compared to others I've seen on the internet. I've tried undervolting the CPU, but got no results. The temps seem to be around 80 degrees for the GPU and the CPU can get hot, most of the times over 90. I use the Turbo from the Armoury Crate and the fans seem to be at max speed.
Any tips?

Hi there,
About your temps - you might be able to lower them 15-20C less by tear-down the laptop and clean its air paths ( both fans, heatsinks etc ).
re-pasting your GPU, CPU & near chips with a good thermal paste - is also recommended.
You can also MOD your laptop by opening new intake "air windows" so that it can be cooled better... search this sub-forum for similar topic for mods on other Asus laptops ( G55, G751 ) to understand what it means and gives.

Now about your FPS - you've got one of the LATEST 2nd best card for mobiles...
Complains about FPS being "bad" is a universally typically mean that it is less then 24-30FPS - that you can't play smooth vs what human eyes can see as a moving smooth "movie".
So to complain about having 100 fps seems redundant... unless it don't seems "smooth" to your eyes, which it's possible, if you don't enable g-sync to deal with tearing caused by a very high fps vs your "slow" screen refresh rate.
about the latest Jedi game - it is buggy as hell in terms of graphics optimization. the first thing you need to do IMHO is to disable any "ray-tracing" options available for you card's serie - this should allow you better FPS.
search online for graphics tweaking guide, as this game's highest graphics settings are buggy AFAIK.

GL.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Gps3dx wrote:
Hi there,
About your temps - you might be able to lower them 15-20C less by tear-down the laptop and clean its air paths ( both fans, heatsinks etc ).
re-pasting your GPU, CPU & near chips with a good thermal paste - is also recommended.
You can also MOD your laptop by opening new intake "air windows" so that it can be cooled better... search this sub-forum for similar topic for mods on other Asus laptops ( G55, G751 ) to understand what it means and gives.

Now about your FPS - you've got one of the LATEST 2nd best card for mobiles...
Complains about FPS being "bad" is a universally typically mean that it is less then 24-30FPS - that you can't play smooth vs what human eyes can see as a moving smooth "movie".
So to complain about having 100 fps seems redundant... unless it don't seems "smooth" to your eyes, which it's possible, if you don't enable g-sync to deal with tearing caused by a very high fps vs your "slow" screen refresh rate.
about the latest Jedi game - it is buggy as hell in terms of graphics optimization. the first thing you need to do IMHO is to disable any "ray-tracing" options available for you card's serie - this should allow you better FPS.
search online for graphics tweaking guide, as this game's highest graphics settings are buggy AFAIK.

GL.

The problem with the fps is that is very similar if not lower than my GTX1070 laptop... Now, the problem is that I know this card is capable of pushing 144fps + which matters to me because I have a 144hz screen. And those 30 fps that I lost compared to others are meaningful. Also, in case of Star Wars, I get it's a buggy mess (it doesn't even utilize my gpu at 100%, only at about 50% maximum), but again, a few fps gain would give me a 60fps without drops, which would make the experience way better.

Thank you for the advice on temps. I will try to do those things.

MORE ideas pop to my head...

• Through nvidia inspector, try changing 1 setting at a time -> then benchmark....
    change settings like: disable ansel, prerender frame set to 1, disable/enable threaded optimization, enable "fast-sync" under vsync and disable the v-sync in-game.
  • wipe/uninstall 'GeForce Experience'....
  • perform tips from my guide

please report back if any of it helps.
Asus G751JT
Samsung EVO 850 120GB + 1TB HDD 7200RPM
Cleaned installed Win 10 HOME
My Guides:

• [POST=538713]ROG LAPTOPS: COMPLETE DRIVER LIST ![/POST]
  • [POST=538713]How to install windows 8/8.1/10 on any UEFI supported laptop the PROPER way[/POST]
  • [POST=538711]HOW TO (EASILY!) UPGRADE FROM WIN7 SP1/8.1 WITHOUT GOING THROUGH THE UPGRADE PROCESS ITSELF ![/POST]
  • [POST=605307]HOW TO REMAP FN+KEY AND SPECIAL BUTTONS: "STEAM", "ROG" & "SHADOWPLAY"[/POST]
  • [POST=539663]Win 10 x64: SETUP USB @SUPERSPEED, NO HANG-UPS! | ACCELERATES USB 3.0/2.0 TRANSFER RATE SPEED TWICE![/POST]

Sadly, nothing changed...