cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

M.2 PCIE SSD instalation issue - ASUS Maximus VIII Ranger Z170

yamatosan
Level 8
Hello,

I planned to upgrade my pc with a M.2 PCIE SSD and have a problem.
I cannot find screw and spacer to secure SSD (970 EVO PLus Samsung) in place.
I checked all the packages from motherboard and could find any.
Let me know if these pieces should be in the package or not.

Also, in the manual that came with the motherboard there is no guide to properly install M.2 SSD.
If someone can help with information i would appreciate.

Thank you in advance,
Adrian
7 REPLIES 7

claudej
Level 7
Hi Yamatosan
The screw (and tool ?) is (was) in the box, just checked in the specs of your motherboard : 1 x M.2 Screw Package
(I've got the Gene VIII and I had a screw in my box. It's small, I remember searching for it )
Those small stainless screws (bottom of your last picture) look like it, but you shouldn't have 6, only one.
Maybe to use with those brass bits on the same picture ? not sure, long time ago.

Mounting shouldn't be a problem.
It should fit in, without force.
The drive should be flat, the screw hole should be located right.
It should fit easily.

Hi claudej,

The problem is that i do not have those.
It should be either on these two situations:
1) a spacer that screw in the metal part of mainboard and another screw on top of that spacer to fix the m.2 ssd pcie nvme;
2) a screw that fits directly in the metal part of mainboard and fix the m.2 ssd pcie nvme;
Personally i think there is a spacer + a screw, that i don't find in the package.
I checked all the screws that i have in the package and could find it.

Regards,
Adrian

pillainp
Level 7
Those 4 small screws at the bottom of your 2nd last pic look a lot like M.2 screws.

pillainp wrote:
Those 4 small screws at the bottom of your 2nd last pic look a lot like M.2 screws.

Hi pillainp,

They sure do look like and this was my first thought, but they are not.
Diameter of screw thread differ - screws you indicated have bigger thread diameter than thread on from mainboard.

Regards,
Adrian

claudej
Level 7
If really you lost that screw, you might be able to buy a replacement.
Just found one fast on Amazon : Michaelia M.2 Standoff and Screw for M.2 Drives,Asus motherboard

yamatosan
Level 8
Hi claudej,

I manage to get a bag of screws for Asus Mainboards and worked as they should.
Problem is that I could not find mine in the mainboard package - and I know this cause only I worked with this mainboard.

Anyway, I installed it and with BIOS 3802 worked without any additional setup in BIOS (no need to choose between SATA or PCI-E x4 speed).
I cloned with Samsung Magician the old system and within 10minutes I had system transfered.

claudej
Level 7
Great.
(I'd check alignement of that new SSD to be sure, but I guess it's ok)