cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

First PCIe x16 slot and Onboard GPU not functional

Finderup
Level 7
I have heard the POST alarm NO VGA (1 long 3 Short beeps) from the mother board and seen “No signal” on my screen a lot lately.

The system works as a dream with the ASUS Cerberus GTX 1050 Ti in second PCIe slot, so no failure in GPU or cables.
I have built many rigs an newer seen this kind of issue – first thoughts where Mobo failure but searches via Google looks like others have the same issue – also on this site

This rig first started with the GPU in Slot 2 because I wanted more air around the CPU cooler so I never got the error from the beginning – I did not notice Win 10 did not detect the Onboard GPU.

Enter a new GPU with more power (ASUS TUF RTX5700) and much bigger. It could not fit in to Slot 2 due to conflicting space where SATA 4-6 and other board connectors are located.

It only could fit in to Slot 1 and then I got no VGA alarm. Thinking the GPU had a failure I tried with the old GPU – No VGA. Also with no GPU’s in Slot 1 & 2 I get No VGA ???? And according to specs this board does have an onboard VGA. I get the alarm during POST so before the OS WIN 10 64bit starts. And with NO VGA I also never see the BIOS Screen on the monitor – just black screen and the monitor shows “No Signal” and the goes to sleep again.

With the old GPU in slot 2 is the only way this rig works – and that is with no issues what so ever (exept a slightly outdated GPU)

My set up is:
ASUS TUF Z390M-Pro Gaming
i5 9400 F
2x4GB HyperX Furry
ASUS Cerberus GTX 1050 Ti
Kingston SSD SUV240
Samsung SSD 850 EVO
700 W PSU

Bios updated to 2606

I have tried a lot … also resetting CMOS and removing the battery for a while … even attempting to boot with all SATA connections removed – only keyboard & monitor and still only POST screen in the setup with old GPU in Slot 2 …. With this “Native” setup I did not even see a POST screen from the Onboard GPU….

When I see the BOIS setup even in the stripped setup (GPU in Slot 2) I never have seen anything about onboard GPU…

I’m going crazy …. Next step I guess is RMA… I did raise a case with ASUS, so I will also see I they come up with an answer, BIOS update … or magic.

From what I see on searches this seems to be something other have experienced – but not really solved – this pointing towards a more general issue with setup or weak spot on the mother boards … some failure with the same symptom
Any ideas are appreciated
3 REPLIES 3

Finderup
Level 7
Update.
I found the root cause of the non functional OnBoard GPU - There is not GPU on the board 😮 -
The board GPU connections only work if the CPU has a built in GPU
...and my CPU i5-9400 F is almost the only one in the 9 series that does not have it - most the other models have it 9400 x except 9400 F (now I know the reason for the slightly lower price for that model)
Learning for me how to read specifications correctly for board AND CPU

Now i will focus on testing why the PCIe Slot 1 is not functioning - Dirty, fault, BIOS config - since my external GPU board works fine in Slot 2

Never got the Slot 1 to function even after cleaning

The MoBo was shipped back with RMA to supplier today

There are some SMT components on the CPU PC board that have to do with PCIe slot one; they are on the opposite corner from the arrow index, at least on x299 CPU's. Can't say for sure on Z370/390. I suggest you might examine the CPU to see if the bottom is perfectly clean, and if there are any missing parts or damage to the PCB, especially the corner area. If you had the MB, I'd say examine that part of the socket to see if there are bent or missing pins.

Have had the same symptom you describe with a x299 CPU. Since I can't repair the PCB, the GPU is in slot two.