cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem with a new board

hdtvnut
Level 7
(New to me anyway) I bought a second-hand MXI Extreme thru EB, and on my bench, it seems normal in BIOS, recognizes my sata ssd drive w/W10 and mouse/keyboard, but when booting W10, I get to the scenic page and the cursor doesn't appear. Q code A0. Any suggestions appreciated.
3 REPLIES 3

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
Did you insert that boot drive from a different board model? Cause it may be that windows doesn't properly recognise all hardware to succesfully login. A0 is the "everything ok at the board level" Q-code

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?89694-Q-CODE-A0-error-and-les-device-on
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?18686-Asus-maximus-v-gene-q-code-a0

At that point everything is down to to the OS

hdtvnut
Level 7
Thanks; you answered my question: what "IDE initialization is started" meant. I think I can assume the board is all right. However, the box is missing the Dimm_2 adapter/heat sink and the Wifi antennas.

Ch3vr0n
Level 10
it's not "missing" anything. You bought it used. Meaning you got what you paid for. It's very likely the original owner is using the antennae him/herself (but it's not really THAT good. It's only 2x2) and the dimm.2 module. You'll have to contact asus about that.

Though honestly i wouldn't bother too much with the boards native antenna. Hasn't changed in 2 chipsets. It's still the same as it was on my Z170.

at home using wired connection over powergrid, i couldn't reach more than 100Mbps. So i figured why not try the board's antenae (for my M11F) that knocked it up to a 170Mbps. I had recently gotten faster internet (300Mbps, ISP capable of giga down, if you pay for it) but i wasn't getting it over wifi. I know my NetGear XR500 router is capable of it. so i bought the asus PCE-AC88U PCI-e card. Which is a 4x4 wifi antennae. It's not cheap but it does what you pay for. using that one instead of the native board's antennae i peak out at 290Mbps (which is near the maximum possible my current internet package allows)

If i were to pay for gigabit, i'm pretty sure i'd get it with that combination of router & wifi card