New ROGer Array

Red face Repasted my brand new GU502GV, and holy smokes what a difference!

Let me preface this by saying I had thought I fixed my thermal concerns with some mild undervolting. I was getting great temps all around, but then I noticed my CPU wasn’t clocking very high at all. Turns out I had accidentally disabled Turbo altogether without noticing...er go the great temps.

Once I re-enabled Turbo my temps were back up around where they’d been before: bouncing off 95°C with fans maxed in Cinebench. Darn.

Determined to do better, I completely reset the UV and Turbo settings and reflashed the latest BIOS to clear any residual potential weirdness. Took the laptop apart and cleaned the heatpipe assembly.

The stock paste on the VRM and RAM was still wet and usable, but the CPU/GPU paste had almost no play in it at all. It was practically baked on, and this is a brand new laptop purchased on the 14th new from BB.

Cleaned it up, repasted with CM Mastergel Maker (Side note: it used to be called Nano, and now it comes in this goofy wide mouth applicator syringe...don’t know if the formulation changed but I’ve used the older stuff on all three of my past desktop builds to great effect.), and I’m blown away with how much cooler running it is and that’s with full Turbo and no undervolt.

Before, 100% fans, with -150mV/-50mV undervolt in the much quicker Cinebench R15: https://i.imgur.com/ieHsavM.jpg

After, 100% fans, with no undervolt in the much longer CB R20:
    https://i.imgur.com/5vrCIsG.jpg

I can with full faith recommend repasting if you’re not satisfied with your temps (I know 95°C is normal and everything, but I just don’t like it). And might I suggest using a slightly thicker than normal application of high quality paste spread evenly across the entire die—worked wonders for me!!
    Last edited by s4in7; 01-23-2020 at 01:50 AM. Reason: Grammar

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Sounds like they either have a tolerance issue with the heatsinks (causing them not to make contact) or a bad batch of thermal paste. Glad to see there was a solution.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!