Thread: expected fps

New ROGer Array

expected fps

Hey,
    Nub here to the forum, helping my son build a low end gaming desktop. I'm re-using parts from a Linux box I built a couple years ago, figuring I could toss in a decent graphics card, maybe a monitor. I was expecting better results , but this is not even as good as his HP gaming laptop:
    HP Pavilion Power 15-cb059NR 15.6" Gaming Laptop Computer - Black Intel Core i7-7700HQ Processor 2.8GHz; NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 2GB GDDR5; 8GB DDR4 SDRAM; 1TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive

Desktop build info
    Budget: minimal
    Main uses of intended build: low -mid gaming
    Parts required: TBD
    Previous build information (list details of parts):
    MB: Asus M3A78
    CPU: AMD AM2 5800 3Ghz
    RAM 8Gb
    Graphics card: ASUS TUF Gaming GeForce® GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 TUF-GTX1650-4G-GAMING
    Monitor resolution: Acer KG241Q Pbiip 23.6" Full HD (1920 x 1080) TN 144Hz 1ms
    Storage requirements:
    Will you be overclocking: TBD

His laptop (above) is getting over 100 fps in Steam while playing Rocket League. The desktop is only getting 60-70 fps. We were expecting more like 120 fps or better. The GTX 1650 was an open box from Micro Center, could I possibly have a slightly defective graphics card? I'm trying to figure out why this HP laptop is out performing the desktop with such large margin.

Any input is welcome, thanks.

ROG Member Array

Are you using a monitor with the desktop PC that supports 144hz or higher? (EDIT: Just saw you did specify that it is a 144hz monitor - the below notes still apply)

Also, are you using a DVI-D cable? I know in my particular situation, I had to use either DVI-D or DisplayLink cable - NOT HDMI. Then I needed to ensure that in Windows and in my NVidia settings it was recognizing the 144hz monitor (ensure that everything was set to 144hz).

Then in Rocket League, I had to specifically specify in the game settings to max out at 144 fps. By default it is capped at 60 fps. After that, it was running nicely.

I am using a GTX 1070 with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, Asus prime as320i-K, 8 GB of DDR4 RAM, and steam game files are installed on an SSHD.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

You can bench the components. Compare your results to publicly available results/reviews of the same components.

However, for a budget build I would look for used parts on Craigslist. It's almost always a better value than buying a new low-end part at retail.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by neonitron View Post
    Are you using a monitor with the desktop PC that supports 144hz or higher? (EDIT: Just saw you did specify that it is a 144hz monitor - the below notes still apply)

Also, are you using a DVI-D cable? I know in my particular situation, I had to use either DVI-D or DisplayLink cable - NOT HDMI. Then I needed to ensure that in Windows and in my NVidia settings it was recognizing the 144hz monitor (ensure that everything was set to 144hz).

Then in Rocket League, I had to specifically specify in the game settings to max out at 144 fps. By default it is capped at 60 fps. After that, it was running nicely.

I am using a GTX 1070 with an AMD Ryzen 5 2600x, Asus prime as320i-K, 8 GB of DDR4 RAM, and steam game files are installed on an SSHD.
    I used a DVI cable. Yes, properties were set to 144 Hz. And the Rocket League frame rate was maxed out. I also set it to multiples of 60 & 144. Thinking that since the card was an open box and the previous customer may have also had issues with the card, I went back to Micro Center to exchange the card. There weren't any more ASUS GTX-1650s, so I exchanged the ASUS card for a EVGA card, also a 1650. R&R'ing the card showed no improvement. I went back to Micro Center, found a deal on an ASUS ROG STRIX B450-F / AMD CPU combo and bought it. I put in the EVGA GTX 1650, loaded all the drivers then went into Rocket League. The frame rate in single player mode has been 220, multi-player has been 160.

Problem solved,. Not the solution I had planned for, but I've got the fps i was after (+more).