baatun
Level 7
First my specs:
CPU; i7-4790K
GPU;GTX 1070
MOBO;Maximus Hero vii
RAM; DDR3 32GB
SSD; EVO 840 250GB

With today's technical standards, is it still advisable to buy another gtx 1070 to run it via SLI?
Or would you advise me to build a more recent RIG?
If neither additional GPU and new RIG were to be considered for you, what would you change otherwise?

I would be really interested in your opinion.
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
IMO, SLI is cool but there's no longer enough (consistent) performance benefit to justify it.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Your current system, although aging, is well matched. What are you looking to accomplish? Are you looking to scale up resolution? Or looking for better FPS in more demanding games?

If you could get a second 1070 cheaply, that might buy you some time. The 4790k is an older chip, but its not as far behind newer CPUs as you might think. It has the power to support a 1080 Ti at 2K-4K resolutions. If you run very low resolution the CPU might bottleneck just a little. The same would apply to SLI support.

Moving passed the 1070/1080 line up, SLI loses its value. A single 2080 would be the way to go as SLI gains are no longer what they used to be. But if you are going that route, you'd want to pair a new Touring GPU with a newer platform. And that requires a different budget.

So it depends on what you are trying to achieve. If you can pick up an inexpensive second 1070, it would give you a boost in most titles and buy you some time before a new system is needed. But if you are looking for a big step up in power that would last a few years, you need a new platform . So it comes down to your goals and budget.

baatun
Level 7
Thank you both for your time, already thought that it could get tight soon. Therefore I wanted to be on the safe side and ask here.
To take an example, at battlefield 5, I have to overclock my cpu and gpu to the extreme and set the in-game settings to the lowest to get 80-130 fps and therefore play smoothly without fps drops.
In a way i'm extremely happy about your statement;
"that it will soon be time to upgrade"
For me it means choosing PC components and of course the best; assemble everything.