cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

C7H-WiFi, can't boot at 3200MHz memory?

TwitchFast
Level 7
I apologize if I'm just being stupid but I've been trying intermittently to get my DDR4-3200Mhz kit to run at DCOP speeds and have had absolutely no luck.

I'm running the following:
CPU: 3800X
Mobo: C7H with the 2901 BIOS, tried 3004 and had no luck with that either.
RAM: CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3200MHz Samsung B-Die)

If I try DCOP, I get stuck in a funky boot loop with no definite QLED error, it just cycles through a large range of them.
If I try manually inputting the frequency and timings, it does the same as enabling DCOP, the only way to break the loop cycle is clear CMOS.

I've tried raising DRAM VBOOT from 1.2v to 1.35v/1.4v/1.45v to no avail, again no definite error, however the restart is very abrupt when I change this value.

The defaulted speed of 2133MHz @ 1.2v runs but I can't seem to find a fix for this, apologies in advance as I'm not well versed with memory whatsoever.

Thanks!
21 REPLIES 21

MeanMachine
Level 13
Hi TwitchFast 😉 and Welcome to ROG

Your RAM (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) are OC RAM which is beyond the JDEC standard and therefore will default to a safe set of SPD values.
To obtain the rated frequency for your RAM involves manually tweaking Timings and voltage in Bios. (AI Overclock tuner set to "manual".
I and others have found that a slight CPU Overclock can also help.

Most have found that using applications such as Thaiphoon and Ryzen RAM Calculator will get the job done and how best to use them go here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTekAB1Zzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqhyVNPhaM

First test your modules with Memtest86 to eliminate any possibilities of errors.If any errors whatsoever then RMA the whole kit.
Test the Motherboard slots using just a single module in the first slot, switch them around and test the other slot. The only other issue could be the memory controller on the CPU. (very unlikely at 3200Mhz)
Good luck and please report back.
We owe our existence to the scum of the earth, Cyanobacteria

My System Specs:

MB:ASUS ROG Crosshair VII Hero/WiFi GPU:EVGA GTX 1080 sc PSU:Corsair AX-1200i
CPU:
AMD R7 2700X Cooler: Corsair Hydro H115i Case: Corsair Carbide 780t

Memory:G.Skill TridentZ F4-3200C14D-16GTZR SSD:Samsung 500GB 960 EVO M.2

[/HR]

MeanMachine wrote:
Hi TwitchFast 😉 and Welcome to ROG

Your RAM (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16) are OC RAM which is beyond the JDEC standard and therefore will default to a safe set of SPD values.
To obtain the rated frequency for your RAM involves manually tweaking Timings and voltage in Bios. (AI Overclock tuner set to "manual".
I and others have found that a slight CPU Overclock can also help.

Most have found that using applications such as Thaiphoon and Ryzen RAM Calculator will get the job done and how best to use them go here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1GTekAB1Zzc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KOqhyVNPhaM

First test your modules with Memtest86 to eliminate any possibilities of errors.If any errors whatsoever then RMA the whole kit.
Test the Motherboard slots using just a single module in the first slot, switch them around and test the other slot. The only other issue could be the memory controller on the CPU. (very unlikely at 3200Mhz)
Good luck and please report back.

Thanks for your input, I should've clarified that I had this exact system running on another motherboard (MSI X570 Gaming Edge Wi-Fi) with the memory running at DOCP speeds.
I replaced the board due to the VRMs getting unreasonably hot depite having little to no load on the CPU.

I've input the appropriate values where specified and manually input all the timings and voltages, unfortunately it does the exact same thing as just enabling DOCP.
Upon Save and Exiting the bios, it very suddenly turns off as though a relay was switched, then attempts to reboot and switches off suddenly again.
The only way I can get out of that loop is to clear CMOS, and the QLED code isn't giving me a value to work with either.

I'm sure the RAM is fine as I had it running at advertised speeds on the old motherboard, really hope I can get this ironed out.

Thanks again.

Delta9K
Level 9
I know this is going to appear humdrum & duh... But, make sure that you populate the A2/B2 Dimm slots -

I could not find your rams listed at B-die finder (CMK16GX4M2B3200C16 (Corsair Vengeance 2x8GB 3200MHz Samsung B-Die)) and also the timings (16-18-18-36) don't line up for bdie but... Corsair does swap what ICs they use even on the same speed kits you have to pay attention to the version numbers. Here again, Thaiphoon burner should provide some clarity as it will read your ICs directly. I have a 32GB kit of that LPX Vengeance (CMK32GX4M2B3200C16) and they are Hynix MFR...

If I missed this and you did it this way I apologize but the screenshot from DRAM calc you posted appears to be the timings generated from clicking R-XMP. Also, you really want to know what your ICs are (samsung, hynix etc.etc.) when doing the initial input into the calculator. So...,

Run Thaiphoon burner to capture a report from your Dimms - after you've read your Dimms, click report and view it scroll to the bottom and click show timings in nanoseconds - then export the report as a complete report HTML. Now open DRAM calculator set it up as you did (entering the correct memory type as read from Thaiphoon burner) except don't click the purple button 'R-XMP' as that is just using generic sets of timings from tables based on the mem type entered - Instead click Import/XMP and then point it to the HTML report you just saved from Thaiphoon burner that is custom to your Dimms. Then calculate safe/fast - The timings may look really similar but I'd bet there's a few that differ especially if they are not B-die as you configured it as -

Please report back what you find out or if you need some help determining what your ram components are from Thaiphoon burner -
Other systems in addition to rig in the profile specs:
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

Delta9K wrote:
I know this is going to appear humdrum & duh... But, make sure that you populate the A2/B2 Dimm slots -

Any input that could lead to a solution is appreciated, but yes I have populated the A2/B2 dimms.
This hurts because 2133 is too low for the infinity fabric, so everything is out of whack :T
-Edit
Thanks for the updated post, much more comprehensive than the aforementioned videos.
I have run Thaiphoon and I can confirm my kit is Samsung B-Die, I'll follow up with proof and results tomorrow, currently 1AM where I live.

Pretty sure I did click R-XMP since the guide said to, but no worries, I'll try your method when I'm on the system next.

TwitchFast wrote:
Any input that could lead to a solution is appreciated, but yes I have populated the A2/B2 dimms.
This hurts because 2133 is too low for the infinity fabric, so everything is out of whack :T
-Edit
Thanks for the updated post, much more comprehensive than the aforementioned videos.
I have run Thaiphoon and I can confirm my kit is Samsung B-Die, I'll follow up with proof and results tomorrow, currently 1AM where I live.

Pretty sure I did click R-XMP since the guide said to, but no worries, I'll try your method when I'm on the system next.

Awesome - yes, please post the output from Thaiphoon burner for sure and Dram calc & we can have a look.
Aorus Master x570, 3950X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, Sabrent 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 2080 Super, HX1200i, Celsius S36, Define S2, pg348q
Aorus Master x570, 3900X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, 5700XT, HX1000i, H150i Pro, Obsidian 500D, LG32GK650F-B
MEG x570 Unify, 3800X, 32GB GSkill c16 @3800, Sabrent PCIe4 1TB, 860Evo 1TB, GTX1080Ti, SSR-850PD, Celsius S36, Define R6, u3415w

Delta9K wrote:
Awesome - yes, please post the output from Thaiphoon burner for sure and Dram calc & we can have a look.

Here's the correct info this time lol.

Pretty sure I read somewhere that they made a brief stint of Samsung LPX kits, then started using Hynix.

-Edit, I tried the Safe calculation + Recommended values where available, it did the exact same thing and switched off immediately upon saving and exiting the bios.
Also, I saw nothing concerning VBOOT on the calculator, I tried to change it to 1.35v since 1.2 is likely much too low for my kit.

Take care/note that if manually setting from DRAM Calculator to BIOS that line for line, do not line up in particular tRCDWR and tRCDRD are listed around the other way in BIOS

TWRRD is either 1 or 3 suggest trying 3.

Also you could try CAD_Bus Block Alt 2

Anything not covered in Ryzen DRAM calculator, leave in AUTO.

Still not getting anywhere try 14-18-18-36 as base timings and then combination of the above defaults (you printed) from Ryzen calculator for the sub timings then alternatives. If you get boot then run something like aida64 (system stability test) to see if things are stable or whatever your preferred testing method is.

I don't LPX line, back when I got my 1800x, LPX (Hynix) would not even boot, then finally did but never got to 3200, got rid of LPX in the end.

RedSector73 wrote:
Take care/note that if manually setting from DRAM Calculator to BIOS that line for line, do not line up in particular tRCDWR and tRCDRD are listed around the other way in BIOS

TWRRD is either 1 or 3 suggest trying 3.

Also you could try CAD_Bus Block Alt 2

Anything not covered in Ryzen DRAM calculator, leave in AUTO.

Still not getting anywhere try 14-18-18-36 as base timings and then combination of the above defaults (you printed) from Ryzen calculator for the sub timings then alternatives. If you get boot then run something like aida64 (system stability test) to see if things are stable or whatever your preferred testing method is.

I don't LPX line, back when I got my 1800x, LPX (Hynix) would not even boot, then finally did but never got to 3200, got rid of LPX in the end.

Tried your suggestions, still no dice I'm afraid.
And when inputting timings I have been checking the names side-by-side via my Phone just to make sure I'm not buggering it up.

TwitchFast wrote:
Here's the correct info this time lol.
Pretty sure I read somewhere that they made a brief stint of Samsung LPX kits, then started using Hynix.

-Edit, I tried the Safe calculation + Recommended values where available, it did the exact same thing and switched off immediately upon saving and exiting the bios.
Also, I saw nothing concerning VBOOT on the calculator, I tried to change it to 1.35v since 1.2 is likely much too low for my kit.

Yes, with Corsair you probably not going to be able to do those CL14 timings - Those are showing as Bdie but are probably lower bin - hence the CL16 timings. Typically 3200 Bdie is 14-14-14-34. You did not get ripped off they will do what they are rated for 16-18-18-36. Corsair does a really good job of binning their RAM so if they rated it at CL16 its probably a stretch to get to CL14, honestly.

I would go the same way ROGod suggested, that is what I was going to suggest ultimately if you had no other success. But first I would also boot to bios load optimized defaults F10 save exit go back into bios and then power down machine - then flip the rocker switch (or pull the plug) on PSU - then use the Clear CMOS button on the back of the I/O panel - press it in and hold it say like count to 4 slow - Then plug everything in boot to BIOS load optimized defaults again F10 save exit and then boot to bios to make adjustments. I know its super OCD... But wacky hidden crap gets enabled when you set DOCP etc. It can mess with things. Is why I never use DOCP or XMP and always set timings manually even if just setting the rated XMP timings on the sticker.

Might also want to check out the ROG Crosshair VII overclocking thread over at overclock.net lots of tweakers there and I mean that in a good way.