cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL502VMK AFUWIN Bios rom dump - keyboard backlight problem.

PrzemekPotyra
Level 7
Hello.

Can anybody dump bios rom file for GL502VMK with working keyboard backlight using afuwin tool ? I had a serious bios problems and had to use external programmer. My keyboard backlight does not work since. I found Gary Key's solution but it needs bios dump from a working machine.

Thx in advance guys !
9 REPLIES 9

PrzemekPotyra
Level 7
Nobody ? No GL502 users here ?

PrzemekPotyra wrote:
Nobody ? No GL502 users here ?

Mine is a VSK an on top of that I would have to edit out the w10 key in it. So that's a no go, sorry about that.

Sure. Maybe some other user will be able to help.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Please take a read here PrzemekPotyra before going any further.

If your KB lights flash on and off during POST, then the Gary Key's fix will work - follow the instructions even if you receive the error "Can't write data" pay no attention to this, simply restart afterwards and your keyboard lights should be working again.

If however your KB lights do NOT flash on and off during POST, then you can try a modified BIOS image pertaining to your notebook model by Lost_N_BIOS post #48 here.

The key to this specific KB light fix isn't the model of notebook used, but the manufacturer. As long as the ASUS notebook has a backlit keyboard, then that BIOS image can be used to recover your KB lights. So as long as it's having the no flash at POST scenario. Also you must use the 6MB BIOS region out of a full dump to flash just the Non Critical Block 2 ONLY when using AFUWIN.

The following should ONLY be selected in AFUWIN when trying this specific fix:

Do Not Check ROM ID
Non Critical Block 2

Uncheck everything else and then proceed to flash and restart once complete. This should fix your KB lights if done correctly.

Hi ! Thank you for answering. I have tried Gary's fix already with no luck. My kb does not flash lights while posting. That is why I need ROM image for afuwin. I have tried bin file from post 48 too and it gives me error 18 in afuwin. Does it mean I need to reflash again using external programmer ? I also forgot to mention my specs - 7700hq and gtx1060. Currently using bios 308.

EDIT: I flashed bios bin file from post 48 using external programmer and it was a disaster. I had to wait 3-4mins each time to see ROG logo. Sometimes laptop was doing nothing (no post, just diode blink) and it was impossible to shut down (black screen and high rpm fan spin after shutting down from windows). I was able to see extra bios menus though, but still did not have kb light post-flash.

I've been living without my kb backlight since a year ago or something. Thank you so much for putting time into making guides like this! Really appreciate you my guy. Can't believe this WORKED!!!

Dreamonic wrote:
Please take a read here PrzemekPotyra before going any further.

If your KB lights flash on and off during POST, then the Gary Key's fix will work - follow the instructions even if you receive the error "Can't write data" pay no attention to this, simply restart afterwards and your keyboard lights should be working again.

If however your KB lights do NOT flash on and off during POST, then you can try a modified BIOS image pertaining to your notebook model by Lost_N_BIOS post #48 here.

The key to this specific KB light fix isn't the model of notebook used, but the manufacturer. As long as the ASUS notebook has a backlit keyboard, then that BIOS image can be used to recover your KB lights. So as long as it's having the no flash at POST scenario. Also you must use the 6MB BIOS region out of a full dump to flash just the Non Critical Block 2 ONLY when using AFUWIN.

The following should ONLY be selected in AFUWIN when trying this specific fix:

Do Not Check ROM ID
Non Critical Block 2

Uncheck everything else and then proceed to flash and restart once complete. This should fix your KB lights if done correctly.

I managed to fix my problem. Not by bios flash tho. All you need is a tool called wbt (from vlab) and some command line memory writes. I did add my lan mac and sn at the same time.

Dreamonic
Level 12
Did you disable the BIOS Lock in the BIOS menu prior to flashing the 6MB BIOS Non Critical Block 2 from that full 8MB dump in #48? You'll need to unlock those menus to gain access to the BLE or use grub with the correct variable bits to disable it.

The error in AFUWIN is related to the BIOS Lock Enabled.

I wouldn't have used the full dump. Just use UEFITool to extract the BIOS region and then try the same steps for the Non Critical Block 2 flash. I know writing full dumps does not resolve the KB lights if they aren't already working. You need to get the Non Critical Block 2 flashed with AFUWIN after a full BIOS image write.

If that doesn't work in the end, we can try other ROG backlit KB notebook BIOS images until we find one that works for your notebook. Definitely not going to give up!

Anybody having 6MB dump of bios with kb lights working ?