cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage V Extreme (X99) & Buffered RAM

capybara
Level 7
Hello everyone,

I recently picked up a really really cheap used Rampage V Extreme motherboard and an Intel Xeon E5-2680 v4 for my home server, and I was wondering if I could pair it with some buffered RAM modules (RDIMM) that I can also get from the same dealer (they are much MUCH cheaper than unbuffered RAM, like less than half the price).
Now I know that the Rampage V doesn't officially support buffered memory. What I want to know is: could this RAM work as regular RAM does in this motherboard? Has anyone here ever used buffered memory in a motherboard which didn't support it and get it to work? If so, I'd like to hear what were your results. Honestly I don't care if the ECC bit doesn't work, or if they are marginally slower than regular RAM, I would only like to know if the motherboard can recognize the RAM and boot at all.

Thanks in advance for your time, and sorry for my bad english.
1 REPLY 1

capybara
Level 7
Just in case someone else has the same question, I'll leave the answer myself.
I took the risk and ended up buying the Buffered RAM anyway. Both 16 GB Hynix modules (2133 MHz) worked absolutely fine, and I haven't run into any issues whatsoever.
So yeah in case any of you find cheap buffered RAM and wonder whether to take the plunge, you most certainly can pair it with a (good) x99 motherboard.

I hope this helps.