cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JY stops getting power from charger sometimes when hot

iammax
Level 7
This is an asus G751jy gaming laptop. It's from mid 2016. I used it heavily since then. Over the last few days, sometimes when I'm in a game, it will stop getting power from the charger and start running on battery power. I can re-plug the charger back in (sometimes just jiggle it around a bit) and it'll start taking charge again, but it often stops again in seconds. This doesn't happen all the time but it seems to only happen in demanding games (but like, 2016 era demanding games, I know it's capable of them as I played them before without issue). Seems to be heat related. This doesn't happen every time I play a game but when it does it often doesn't stop happening until I do a reboot (and it probably cools off during the period it takes to reboot). When it runs on battery power the performance severely throttles so this is basically making the thing useless. However I can still get great performance out of it when it functions properly, so I don't think the GPU or CPU are having trouble, just a power thing.

Does this sound like an issue with the charger itself? Maybe the cable is wearing out? Or maybe the battery is getting too old? Or something more significant like a component failing? The battery is non-user replaceable (at least without significant effort) and replacement chargers seem to be either quite expensive (like $150 for an OEM one) or cheap knockoffs. Don't want to go through the trouble and expense to fix one of the things and then have it be the wrong thing

To be clear, this is a new issue. It never did this for the ~40 months that I have been gaming on this thing until this week. Maybe it'll stop and this is a fluke, but it has happened six or seven times now so I kind of doubt it.
4 REPLIES 4

jdfrench3
Level 12
You could use a voltmeter to check the output of the charging brick. The required voltage output is printed on the bottom of the charging brick.

While the laptop is in use, feel the area around the DC-IN jack (jack that accepts the charging brick cord). If this area is hot to the touch, you found your problem, the DC-IN jack.

Part number: 90NB06F1-R10030 or 90NB06F1-R10080 or 90NB06M1-R10030 (any would work) Cost: $25-$30

If the DC-IN jack area is rather cool, then you have a defective motherboard. Part number of the motherboard is on a green label with black lettering. The motherboard must be removed to see this label. Use this part number to order/replace your existing motherboard.

I would strongly suggest you replace your battery while replacing the motherboard.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
You could use a voltmeter to check the output of the charging brick. The required voltage output is printed on the bottom of the charging brick.

While the laptop is in use, feel the area around the DC-IN jack (jack that accepts the charging brick cord). If this area is hot to the touch, you found your problem, the DC-IN jack.

Part number: 90NB06F1-R10030 or 90NB06F1-R10080 or 90NB06M1-R10030 (any would work) Cost: $25-$30

If the DC-IN jack area is rather cool, then you have a defective motherboard. Part number of the motherboard is on a green label with black lettering. The motherboard must be removed to see this label. Use this part number to order/replace your existing motherboard.

I would strongly suggest you replace your battery while replacing the motherboard.

Good Luck

The jack area and the plug itself are quite hot whent this happens. Additionally today I got my first shutoff due to overheating (at least I'm assuming that's what it was). I'm increasingly convinced that this is a heat issue and not a motherboard issue. Would heat cause the battery to stop charging? Maybe I need to replace my fans...

As I have already stated "if your DC-IN jack area is hot - replace your DC-IN jack".

Replace your DC-IN jack and your battery and report results.

Could still be a bad motherboard.

Take your laptop to a technician for evaluation and repair.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

iammax
Level 7
Replacing the DC jack seems like it has fixed the issue although I am not 100% sure yet as it was only an occaisonal problem and I've only been testing for a few hours so far.