cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G731GU Coil whine.

Smokedout89
Level 7
Hello there! Pretty much as the title says it... I have this laptop for about 3-4 months, and this annoying low frequency sound started like a month ago. After reading a bit on the internet im pretty sure that it is coil whine, its coming from the WASD area of the laptop and it is annoying af. I sent the laptop to a repair center and after 2 weeks they returned It to me with changed fans and motherboard, and guess what... this little annoying sound is still there! It is there no matter if the laptop is plugged in or not, I also have the latest version of bios - 307. Any ideas how to proceed from now , should I just send It again and spam asus support with emails or what is the best option to do?
5 REPLIES 5

Smokedout89
Level 7
So nobody with ROG laptop has experienced a coil whine?

You have already done what would have been suggested to do, return laptop for repair.

I believe the only recourse you now have, is demand your money back.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

BigJohnny
Level 13
Nope, never had a laptop with coil whine, you are the first time Ive heard of it.

I have the G731GV and I also have the coil whine (nonstop).
I run the laptop in silent mode to reduce it so that I don't hear it anymore (unless I put my ears over the keyboard). In Performance/Turbo, it is loud. The faster the CPU, and the more the turbo is active, the higher the coil whine.

I put my ears over the Alienware 17R2 that I have and I also hear it but it's very faint. My wife's Dell laptop also has it but also very faint.
This and MSI laptops have it loud.

It's not only loud and annoying in perf/turbo mode, there's also a crackling sound.

Sometimes, the coil whine goes away though. I am unsure of the cause.
ASUS G18 - RTX 4080 - 32GB DDR5 5600 MHZ - I9-13980HX.

Hi everyone. I've found a workaround for this problem. It seems to be it's directly attached to ACPI C-states, which manage power states of the CPU when on idle to save power and that produces the mentioned really annoying electro-magnetic noise.
I'll leave you the link. It is executed by CMD command and Throttlestop. It worked just fine on my Scar II device.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sKjw-uShTlo