cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a rog board... (mixing memory)

bimbo
Level 7
Hi Guys.
I have the folowing hardware, but since i built it about a month or so ago. I get nothing but freezes or black screen and sometimes switch offs.

Phanteks Enthoo Pro Full Tower Gaming Case - Black USB 3.0

ASUS ROG STRIX X470-F Gaming Motherboard - Black

AMD Ryzen 7 1700X Processor - YD170XBCAEWOF

ARCTIC Freezer Xtreme Rev. 2 - 160 Watts Twin-Tower Heatsink CPU Cooler - Intel & AMD - 120mm PWM Fan - 4 Double-Sided Heatpipes - Easy Installation

Corsair CP-9020070-UK Professional Platinum Series 1200 W ATX/EPS Fully Modular Power Supply Unit

Corsair 163301 Vengeance LPX 64 GB (4 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black

Sapphire RX 5700 Pulse (8GB GDDR6/PCI Express 4.0/1540MHz - 1750MHz/14000MHz)

I am looking to buy another rog board that i can still use the other hardware with.
I have tried all the fixes that are in one of the threads for the ROG board, but the problem still exists.
Therefore is there another ROG board that does not have the problems.

Thanks in advance for any advice offered.
Vinnie.
26 REPLIES 26

Retired
Not applicable
it seem like you have a troll somewhere in the system, or something not compatible with the rest of the components
i have owned and built many computers throughout the years (both private and for clients), and never experienced a build that would not run as advertised with the default settings without problems (auto/XMP)
the computer i have right now is the only machine that wont run the memory at DOCP rated speed, but other than that.. no issues

is your system crashing if you load setup defaults in bios and run everything on auto?

i have never used 1 gen ryzen, but can most samples run 64GB @3200mhz memory speed?

i assume you system is not overclocked in any way, in bios or with ai suit

because i doubt there is anything wrong with the motherboard

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
Is that memory a single quad channel kit? What part number. If it's two kits of "same" type I'd wager it's that. separate them by serial no and run one at a time in suggested slots

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?57038-Don%92t-combine-memory-kits!-The-meat-and-potatoes-o...

Retired
Not applicable
yes arne is right
but if it is a quad kit you can try :
but is it two dual channel kit you can try: ( just make sure you use the right memory sticks now, and don't mix the kits)
1. power off computer and insert only two of the memory sticks (2x16gb) in the correct dual channel configuration (slots)
2. clear cmos
3. power on computer and go into bios and load setup defaults, save and exit
4. reboot
is the system unstable now?

[I believe this is a memory issue as well. I took a quick look at the Memory QVL for the 470-F with a GEN 1 Ryzen and there are no supported 64GB kits that run at 3200Mhz.

If you want to run AMD ROG board with 4x16GB 3200Mhz or higher memory without any issues,..

The Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero, and AMD Ryzen 3000 Series processor would be a solid platform.

Yipee!
You guys rock.
Placed a pair of ram 16gb into slots A2, B2 and problem gone. So a huge thanks for that information.

Another Question.
Would i be better off, putting one of my remaing 16gb sticks into A1 or would buying two sticks at 8gb
and putting them into A1, B1.

Any info would be much apreciated.
Vinnie

bimbo wrote:
Yipee!
You guys rock.
Placed a pair of ram 16gb into slots A2, B2 and problem gone. So a huge thanks for that information.

Another Question.
Would i be better off, putting one of my remaing 16gb sticks into A1 or would buying two sticks at 8gb

Vinnie

What you want it to decided what memory you want and buy a single kit to populate as many slots as you have if you want. thing is you want all the same kit. Even buying 4 single sticks of the same part number doe3snt mean they will work together. It a crap shoot. Board is full of posts with the same problem. Buy a single kit of 4 sticks and done.

bimbo wrote:
Yipee!
You guys rock.

Another Question.

Vinnie

So do us a favor and change this thread TITTLE because the issue is not on the board...... Next time instead of blaming asus for something research or create a thread with a different TITTLE.... Thanks in advance

I am truly sorry for making you angry and i am sincerely sorry for my blatant mistake
in blaming Asus in anyway for my miss judgement.

In future, i will buy a complete combination of motherboard, processor and memory.
That way i will not run into any problems of the hardware.

Once again i apologise to you wholeheartedly.

Vinnie.