cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 Issue - NAT Issue With Two Xbox One Consoles

BiggShooter
Level 7
Does anyone have multiple (2+) Xbox One gaming consoles (X or S) connected to the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000? Is so, do you have Open NAT on both consoles?

I have a Xbox One X (wired connection) and a Xbox One S (wired connection) connected to the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000 and both consoles show Strict NAT. With my previous router (XR500) I was able to get Open NAT on both consoles (with Instant On enabled). I never had an issue with multiple consoles achieving Open NAT when I was using the Asus RT-AC5300.

*Thanks for the replies*:)
13 REPLIES 13

xeromist
What happens when one is disconnected from the network for a while? Alternatively, if you don't need remote play on both you could try disabling that on one of the boxes. I don't think NAT is required for remote installations.

I don't have a Rapture and I only have a single xbox so I can't test this for you.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
What happens when one is disconnected from the network for a while? Alternatively, if you don't need remote play on both you could try disabling that on one of the boxes. I don't think NAT is required for remote installations.

I don't have a Rapture and I only have a single xbox so I can't test this for you.

Open NAT is not an issue with one Xbox One X console. I'm trying to achieve Open NAT with two Xbox One (X or S) consoles when online [connected to the same network] and playing Call Of Duty. I can only get Open NAT on one Xbox One X console, while the other Xbox One X console shows Moderate NAT. I'm not doing remote installations, as this is purely an online gaming issue with Xbox One consoles achieving Open NAT on the Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX11000.

I can also echo and reproduce this issue with my GT-AX11000. Having two game consoles online. One gets OPEN NAT in the xbox game dashboard settings while the 2nd xbox game console gets either Strict or Moderate NAT.

For historical information, BigShooter started a post on SNB regarding at the time a RT-5300 which was mostly resolved by the installation of RMerlins 3rd party FW:
https://www.snbforums.com/threads/upnp-multiple-xbox-one-gaming-consoles-nat.35324/
To which I also became apart of. I believe stock FW was never able to support OPEN NAT across multiple games consoles playing the same COD game which report NAT status as well. Unfortunately RMerlin doesn't support or develop his FW for the GT series of ASUS routers. 😞

Thus I started this forum thread in regards to "NAT KIND" being used on various Mfr routers (FULL CONE NAT, PORT ADDRESS RESTRICTED NAT or SYMMETRIC NAT) and what seems to work and what doesn't work when having two or more gaming consoles online at the same time and achieving OPEN NAT across them all:
https://badmodems.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=21
Between BiggShooter and myself, we have done extensive user testing with two or more game consoles.
There are a few routers that we can get OPEN NAT across the board if they are configured correctly and they do work.

Here are my recent experiences with the AX11000 router, this router being my first bought and kept ASUS router:
"Wire connected 2 xbox game consoles to the AX11000. Both here hard powered OFF with the hold and press of the front power button. Rebooted the router as well.

NetGear CM1100 cable modem.

OPEN NAT and Port Forwarding were enabled on the AX11000 router.

Turning on the first one, It reported Moderate NAT on dash board. I did the NAT Type Test on the 1st xbox and after it was completed, it now reported OPEN NAT. I looked at the port address and it was some 50K number. I was expecting to see 3074.

I turned ON the 2nd xbox console. It reported Moderate NAT on dash board. I ran the same NAT Type Test on the 2nd xbox and after it completed, it reported double NAT detected. It reported using some port address that was not 3074. I happened to go back in and set a manual port number and selected 50070 and applied the change. I ran the NAT Type Test again and now it reported OPEN NAT on the 2nd xbox.

I went back to the 1st xbox and ran the NAT Type Test again on it and after it completed, it reported Moderate NAT and Double NAT detected.

I went and ran a NAT Kind test from we certain web site and it reports that the GT-AX11000 uses Port Address Restricted Cone NAT. This is of course by default from ASUS. This also inhibits two or more game consoles from getting OPEN NAT while on line at the same time in some cases. Seem to be playing a small part in all of this oh this model router.

Hoping that ASUS or others can help with any kind of configuration to get OPEN NAT on multiple game consoles online at the same time."

I have since moved my 2nd xbox game console off the AX11000 router and on to a different router with a different WAN IP address so separately, both game consoles are getting OPEN NAT.

We'd like ASUS and Asus Engineering to review this and let us know what exact steps and configurations we can do with the GT-AX11000 router or any ASUS GT series router, to achieve actual OPEN NAT with in the networking settings for xbox, then also achieve OPEN NAT for the in game NAT status seen in CoD games when two or more game consoles are online at the same time playing the same game at the same time using stock FW.

Have you tried turning off Open NAT and just manually setting up port forwarding?

What ports would be needed for two or more game consoles?
I presume uPnP would need to be disabled as well?

e38BimmerFN wrote:
What ports would be needed for two or more game consoles?
I presume uPnP would need to be disabled as well?

The ports would depend on the game. Just Google the needed ports for the game you're playing. I seem to recall that consoles were dependent on upnp but I'll admit that I haven't used a console in years so I'm not sure about the current requirements. You might also want to put your modem into bridge mode if its not already to avoid double nat.

Ok, well for xbox it's been the main port of 3074. This works for a single game console online. Having another online at the same time, I have seen 3075 used in the past.

For uPnP, this in other cases where the router supports FULL CONE NAT, a virtual port is setup for the 2nd console. Since Biggshooter started that uPnP NAT post years ago in the SMB forums, MS seemed to have listen as they implemented manual Port configuration in there networking settings. For the most part, if uPnP is working and the networking system is in a single NAT condition, uPnP usually handles any and all port forwarding or port configurations needed by the game consoles. When the 1st xbox is turned on, it will usually get the 3074 port. When the 2nd console is turned on, it will get some virtual high number port, 50k range.

However, for some newer routers, the NAT kind being used, or the configuration of the IP tables, and how uPnP is designed to work, for some reason has adverse operations when we connect up a 2nd game console. Even with manually changing ports on the console doesn't seem to resolve this NAT status issue with routers with Port Address Restricted NAT kind. FULL CONE NAT seem to work well, however has been deemed older tech and not as secure as PAR NAT thus some router Mfrs don't support or include FULL CONE NAT in there FW code anymore. Most NetGear routers offer a choice in there FW to set the NAT kind, they call it SECURE or OPEN.

It would be great if using just uPnP would be able to handle two or more game consoles online at the same time playing the same game with PAR NAT kind. uPnP seems to work as we have seen with other model and mfr routers when using FULL CONE NAT. I believe there is some kind of problem with PAR NAT and uPnP and something not being able to correctly configure the ports needed for the 2nd game console. Thus making the router manual configuration a bit more complex to try to setup for manual port forwarding.

I do like the idea of the OPEN NAT feature. I'm just curious if ASUS thought or included configurations for a single game console or didn't take into account that some house holds have two or more game consoles and would have the possibility of them playing the same game at the same time.

Will look into some manual port forwarding configurations.

Good info on upnp, also something I haven't used in a few years. For basic xbox live features:
These ports must be open for Xbox Live to work:

Port 88 (UDP)
Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
Port 80 (TCP)
Port 500 (UDP)
Port 3544 (UDP)
Port 4500 (UDP)

You might need additional ports for online gaming. For example:
Call of Duty: Black Ops IIII - Xbox One

TCP: 3074
UDP: 88,500,3074-3075,3544,4500

It would probably help to assign each xbox a static ip address.

Ok. Will look into this.

Still, what or how do we configure the router for a 2nd game console?:confused: