cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about M.2 nvme ssd on ROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI)

pinkfloyd1173
Level 11
Hey guys so I have a question about my old m.2 ssd.

I replaced my old m.2 with a new one today, I had my old m.2 on the bottom slot of my mobo. I decided to add the new one to the top slot and the old one on the bottom slot, like before.

Well for me to not get confused on what m.2 is where, I decided to remove the old m.2, until I had the new m.2 with windows 10 on it in the top slot.

So everything went well with the new install, no issues. I went forth and put back my old m.2 in the bottom slot like before and reformat it once I booted back up in to windows.

Well I reformatted the old m.2 drive, no issues there.

Once I got back in too the bios I noticed that both m.2 are named windows boot drives???

I was trying to see if I could rename it but could not find anything like that in the bios. As I was seraching in the bios, by acceident booted back up on the old m.2 drive.

It started to do it thing, no way to stop it. It finally came to the windows blue screen of trouble shooting. I think you guy know what I am talking about.

What I am trying to figure out is

1. Can I rename the old m.2 in the bios menu, in windows I all ready renamed it no issues there.

2. Is windows 10 still on my old m.2 drive even after I formatted it in windows??

Any advice and help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance guys.
ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI II Bios 1002: Intel i7 14900k: CORSAIR DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB 64GB 6600MHz DDR5: : ASUS ROG STRIX PG38UQ: ROG Strix 4090 OC :2 M.2 990 PRO 2 TB: CORSAIR - AIO CORSAIR LINK H170I LCD : Corsair HX1500I: Corsair 7000D airflow Case: Windows 11 Pro
5 REPLIES 5

BigJohnny
Level 13
The MBR still resides on the old drive. Even if windows is gone the MBR is what the BIOS looks for.
One booted on correct new drive open up disk management and delete all the partitions on the old drive. Easier to do with app like acronis disk director. Or just wipe it in the BIOS under tools tab.

pinkfloyd1173
Level 11
Hey thanks for the reply.

I know there is a option in the bios tools to wipe it clean.
But I remember reading somewhere that it does not support Nvme drives?

Will try the other option.
ROG STRIX Z790-E GAMING WIFI II Bios 1002: Intel i7 14900k: CORSAIR DOMINATOR TITANIUM RGB 64GB 6600MHz DDR5: : ASUS ROG STRIX PG38UQ: ROG Strix 4090 OC :2 M.2 990 PRO 2 TB: CORSAIR - AIO CORSAIR LINK H170I LCD : Corsair HX1500I: Corsair 7000D airflow Case: Windows 11 Pro

In Bios, in tool / Asus secure erase, format the disk as new and then update it in windows to manage it so that windows can see it.84063

Pavoluhliarik wrote:
Open the TOOL item in the bios, then Asus secure erase and delete it there and then update it in the window.84063
nice

pinkfloyd1173
Level 11
Hey guys thanks for your help on this got everything up and running.

Thanks again.